Use Cow Manure For Growing Root Vegetables

For root vegetables like potatoes in new ground, you will sometimes get bugs that eat the root vegetables. Simple solution is cow manure, it kills them dead.

Always works like a charm on any new ground I break.

A few times over the years, I forgot to add the cow manure and I always lost a big percentage of my root vegs to the bugs. Taught me to never forget to add the cow manure first.

By Martha from Nova Scotia

With the advancement of Mad Cow disease, it is now recommended that cow manure never be used on "root" crops. If you do use it, it is very important to make sure that you use only well rotted/high temperature composted manure that has aged for at least 1 growing season.

I never buy my cow manor in any type of bags or from any garden centre or store. ,

I buy it from a local farmer, or use my own,

Mad cow, Ya, seems you can get anything from anything you eat or touch now aday,

Get it from a local farmer, & not some big dairy or beef farmer, go to the little guy, The bag stuff ain't no good anyways, It don't come close to the real thing, you need the real stinky stuff. Most any type of REAL Manor works, Goat, Sheep, Straight from the farmers manor pile its the finest you can get.

Even with well rotted cow manure, from cows with no mad cow risk, you still get a ton of weeds, and sometimes potato scab on your potatoes. Nothing is without risk or some sort of drawback.

I use to yrs ago spend hours on hours weeding, as Most do, Until I found out your lawn grass clippings solved the Weeding problem!

I have never had to weed since. Just plant the seeds and coat the garden with your lawn clippings, weeds won't grow through if you get it nicely covered, we have tuns of lawn clippings, so its never a lack of around here, Plus it makes nice natural fertilizer that is so easy to work with for the following years

A basket of late summer vegetables and herbs from the garden.
Growing Vegetables
Home and Garden Gardening GrowingAugust 20, 2008
Kale after snow has fallen.
Vegetables That Taste Better After Frost
Woman holding up vegetables from her garden.
Growing Your Own Food
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Cow Costume
Variety of garden vegetables and fruits in and surrounding a basket on a table.
Harvesting Common Garden Vegetables