Using Cow Manure in Your Garden

Category Fertilizer
Manure is a nearly perfect natural fertilizer that can be used throughout your garden. This is a guide about using cow manure in your garden.

I buy steer manure blend at a discount store or home improvement store for less than a dollar to spread around by flower beds and lawn. I use those black weeping hoses for my watering system so the black manure compost makes my gardens look very neat and tidy. This compost is my fertilizer and mulch. It's good for the soil unlike chemical fertilizers. I also put about a cup of this steer manure in a large empty detergent bottle filled with water to water and feed my house plants.

By Linda

Note: This is an older post, so the price of the manure is not current.

Top Comment

It's better than chemical fertilizers and I have used it too! I have read (Ann Lovejoy) that it has salt in it, from the salt licks that they use to make the cattle thirsty so they weigh more for that last trip across the scale. I found a dairy near me that composts the manure solids, and that stuff is the finest I've found, makes a good mulch, n o odor, and very clean to use. Antibiotics and rBST don't survive through the cow let alone the composting, it's good! Every garden needs the life, the active life that comes with well-made compost, and the plants show it. There's no substitute for compost!

For root vegetables like potatoes in new ground, you will sometimes get bugs that eat the root vegetables. Simple solution is cow manure, it kills them dead.

Always works like a charm on any new ground I break.

A few times over the years, I forgot to add the cow manure and I always lost a big percentage of my root vegs to the bugs. Taught me to never forget to add the cow manure first.

By Martha from Nova Scotia

Top Comment

I use to yrs ago spend hours on hours weeding, as Most do, Until I found out your lawn grass clippings solved the Weeding problem!

I have never had to weed since. Just plant the seeds and coat the garden with your lawn clippings, weeds won't grow through if you get it nicely covered, we have tuns of lawn clippings, so its never a lack of around here, Plus it makes nice natural fertilizer that is so easy to work with for the following years

If you're doing some gardening this spring planting season, check with your local dairy farmers for free cow manure. It's great fertilizer. Most farmers will allow you to come and take all you want. Till or plow it into your gardening soil well, when preparing your garden.

By Terri from NV

Top Comment

Folks when you are getting manure from farms or farm animals please remember don't just go throw it into the garden. Unless you want a lot of weeds to fight. You should compost it to kill the weeds. Horse manure is supposed to be composted for a least 4 to 6 months before putting into the garden. Dairies are prime places for manure and also for weeds of all kinds. Just compost it.