Milky White Spots on Laminate Flooring

I have almost new laminate flooring. I never use any cleaner on it just my H2O mop (steam). About a week ago I noticed a large almost white spot on it right in the middle of my living room. Now today I have another by a chair. Help. Does anyone know how I can get rid of them and what causes it?

By Sandy from AR

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

While I don't have a laminate floor, I have often considered putting one in my house. Can you contact the store or dealer for help? You mentioned a steam cleaner you use, is it possible you left the pad in one spot too long? Hopefully you will find a solution. Good luck to you.

I used Homax (Brandname), WHITE RING REMOVER. It removes water marks and minor surface scratches. I think that I bought the product at Wal Mart.

I too had white marks on my laminate flooring as a result of leaving the steamer in one position. I have now successfully restored the colour; I put two tea bags in a cup, barely cover them with boiling water then when the liquid is cooled apply it to the affected area and just dab it in with your fingers, leave for about half an hour then wipe an area dry with tissue to test it, you may have to leave it longer. This has completely worked for my flooring. Apparently it's the tannin in the tea bag that restores the colour. From Linda

Take two tea bags, put in a cup, just about cover them with boiling water, leave it to cool, then put the liquid on the white marks on the laminate flooring. Just rub in gently with your fingers, leave for about half an hour, then remove some of the liquid with a tissue to check the result. The liquid (tea, which has tannin in - the colour agent) will have started to dry out. If the white mark is still evident leave for another 15 mins, then just wipe the area clean with a soft damp cloth. This worked for my laminate floor and it is now fully restored.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

November 7, 2009 Flag

Has anyone ever had trouble with milky white spots on laminate flooring? I have these all over my laminate flooring for no rhyme or reason. I have always used mild cleaners ie., Pergo Floor Cleaner or H2O with just a dab of Windex or vinegar.

I feel like I am going crazy trying to figure this out and I have had no help from the company that installed it. Thanks a million.

Mary from Green Bay, WI

Answers:

Milky White Spots on Laminate Flooring

I've read a few websites after a google search and some stated an all purpose cleaner is fine to use, but the culprit may be that streaking is visible while floor is drying or too much cleaning agent is used. It was suggested to dry flooring after mopping. Hope this helps. (02/26/2008)

By Lorelei

Milky White Spots on Laminate Flooring

My husband does floors and people have called him about this problem. He refuses to lay this floor anymore. Even though it doesn't scratch easily, if small bits of water stay in one spot, it will leave a permanent spot. He suggests to run over the floor with a towel wrapped around a dust mop after you mop it. Just wrap the towel around and clasp together with a safety pin, take it off and wash for next use. This way you won't have to get on your hands and knees. If you have any other problems with it, let me know. Me and my husband would love to help. (02/27/2008)

By Elizabeth

Milky White Spots on Laminate Flooring

I forgot to add that you might want to speak to the store where you got the floor. This is a recurring problem my husband has had and the company should warranty the product. If it is a snap together laminate floor that is kind of like Pergo, the only thing that could be done is to take it up and replace. If it is real laminated or engineered plank hardwood (the top is like actual hardwood and not like countertop material) then it can be screened out and, in worse case, sanded and refinished. My husband does this for a living and I can give you some tips on how to try it yourself if the company doesn't help. Let me know. (02/27/2008)

By Elizabeth

Milky White Spots on Laminate Flooring

I would contact the company and try to get them to warranty it. You can make them reimburse you for take-up labor, the amount you spent on the floor, and also re-installation. Push hard for them to do this because sometimes, they are hard to deal with. If you try and they do not budge over a period of a couple of months, if the spots are big enough, you may be able to file it on your insurance as water damage. (02/28/2008)

By Elizabeth

Milky White Spots on Laminate Flooring

My dear hubby is in the flooring business and when I asked him about this, he said that it was called "blushing". Moisture is causing your problem. Always use only a damp mop. Hope this helps.

Kathy (03/04/2008)

By Kathy

Milky White Spots on Laminate Flooring

This suggestion may be completely irrelevant to your issue, but it is worth a try. I have laminate countertops that are painted and then sealed with a water based polyurethane. I doubt that is the same type of sealant on your Pergo type floors, but I had a white cloudy stain which was from setting something hot on it. Strange enough, but I took a hair dryer to the spot and it completely went away. Like I said, this may be completely irrelevant to your issue, but I thought I would throw it out there. You never know. (04/07/2008)

By megandgarr

laminate wood flooring
White Marks on Laminate Flooring
Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsNovember 7, 2009
Paint can, tray, brushes and supplies.
Painting Laminate Flooring
Cleaning Laminate Flooring, Red dry mop cleaning laminate floors
Cleaning Laminate Flooring
Installing Laminate Flooring
Installing Laminate Flooring
laminate samples
Cloudy White Spots on Laminate Countertop
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 10:15:12 AM on 10.0.0.63 in 913 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.