Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Gum from Clothing

Gum stains on clothing are particularly stubborn. You can scrape of some, but it's tough to get it all. This is a guide about removing gum stains from clothing.

March 3, 2010 Flag

Heat some white vinegar in the microwave. pour some on the gum. Go get a toothbrush and brush it out. Save yourself the time of reading any further. It took me 30 seconds to get a big wad of nicorrette out of my jeans. There are a lot of posts that suggest freezing it or rubbing peanut butter into it or both. With all sincerity, trust me, the vinegar and toothbrush works perfectly.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

She's absolutely right - hot vinegar and a toothbrush worked like a charm! Thank you!

June 3, 2016 Flag

Fur coat on mannequin against a black background

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning bubblegum on a fur coat. Removing bubblegum from a fur coat needs to be done carefully.

April 28, 2008 Flag

I have found Lestoil works to remove chewing gum. I would assume that it would work on clothing as well as my daughter dropped her chewing gum on her bed sheet.

By Norma L. from Pataskala, Ohio

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you have a dollar general market, look for the product MD 30. It is in with the stain removers.

August 11, 2011 Flag

Removing Gum From Clothing

Shortly after starting Taekwondo, my son got a bubble gum spread all over the front of his uniform and belt. We tried freezing it and picking it off. That didn't work so we also tried isopropyl alcohol.

March 18, 2005 Flag

To remove bubble gum, put ice on to freeze it, comes right off.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 2, 2009 Flag

This has worked for me. If small item of clothing, put into a zipper freezer bag and pop into freezer to harden up. Pull off gum. If there is a stain residue, and the garment is washable, rub dish liquid into the stain to pre-treat it before laundering.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 18, 2008 Flag

To get gum out of clothes, put ice cube on it until the gum freezes and it will crumble off when scratching it.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 28, 2008 Flag

To remove chewing gum or candle wax from a tablecloth, a couch, or carpeting, gently rub the gum or wax with Ziplock bag filled with ice cubes until the substance hardens.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 16, 2012 Flag

I was riding the bus and my friend told me that there was gum on my jacket. When I got home I told my mom to wash my jacket and she did, but the gum didn't come out. What should I do about it? Thanks.

By Nikki C.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Put peanut butter on it and then wash. I have tried this and it worked very well. Don't put the item in the dryer until you see if there is an oil mark, and if so just treat as usual.

Is it okay to wait a full 24 one day to 3 days? So like 1-3 days before doing it or will the gum dry out and peanut butter then washing it in the washing machine method won't solve it and have to use a different method?

March 27, 2012 Flag

I washed and dried a cotton blend uniform dress with gum on it. How can I remove it?

By Ann

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Take as much of the gum off using a dull knife or some other scraper like item, then use Goo Gone on the remainder of gum, then wash your item. In my opinion a bottle of Goo Gone should be in every home. Goo Gone is useful for thousand of sticky things. Just remember a little goes a long way.

Best Answer

Here is a simple but effective remedy for removing gum. Simply take an ice cube and "freeze" the gum. Remove the frozen gum with a butter knife. Repeat the process until completely gone, then launder as usual.

September 18, 2011 Flag

How do you get gum off of a shirt?

By Jackie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Hre's something I have done. It may sound messy, but try using plain peanut butter or veggie oil. The oil softens the gum so you can pull as much off as you can. Let it soak for about 10 minutes, rinse, then spot wash that area of the garment. Continue until all gum is removed.

February 14, 2014 Flag

I washed my shirt and didn't realize there was gum in the pocket, so I dried it too. Well, I tried to freeze it, but that didn't work and also I took it to the dry cleaners. They said they can't get it out, but I don't think they even tried to be honest. It's silk and the gum is all over the sleeve. Do you have any suggestions? I'm so upset. I only got to wear it one time.

By Daun

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What you need is an old clean toothbrush and a half cup of heated not boiling white vinegar.

First scrape whatever hardened gum you can off with dull side of a butter knife.

Then use toothbrush to apply vinegar on area of gum. Working gently make small circles on the residue. This make take time. Work slowly and gently and eventually all the gum shoul' d ball up and come off. Then wash item as usual.

Cathy from MA

Forgot about gum in new jeans. Found the site, tried the ice and it took off the bulk of the gum. Tried the vinegar, which just melted and smeared. Thought of nail polish remover, which with a smooth towel and quick strokes rapidly pulled off most of the rest. Like about 99% gone. Miniscule dye from pocket fabric was seen on towel. Rinsed with soapy water and laundered.

October 25, 2014 Flag

I accidently washed and dried a pack of gum with my clothes and now there are streaks and spots of gum all over them. Help!

By Amber S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This absolutely works. It is a product called Un-du. You can get it at craft stores and I have even seen it in Lowes. This will even remove hot glue residue and will not harm fabric at all. It also unsticks photos that are stuck together or ones that need to be removed from those older photo albums. Will not harm photos either. It also removes sticker residue and those impossible to remove stickers from plastic. I have used un-du on all the above. It has never failed. Oh one more thing, I have used it to remove a postage stamp from an envelope. After it evaporates the stamp is sticky again so it can be placed on correctly. Hope this helps.

February 5, 2010 Flag

I left 2 sticks of Extra Fruit Sensations Long Lasting Watermelon gum in my brand new camel colored twill jacket. It is 94% cotton, 6% spandex.

It was raining and I was in the store and when I looked down hot pink was soaking through the pocket. The gum didn't stick, so when I got home I put Spray n Wash on it and washed as instructed on the tag, wash in cold water, gentle cycle.

I went to pulled it out and the pink was still there. Not as bad, but you can still see it. I don't want to ruin my brand new, only worn once jacket. Please help ASAP. It's still wet in the washer.

By Rene' from Scotia, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try dish soap or Fels Naphtha soap. It works wonders!

Try Biz laundry detergent, in the wash. You can soak it overnight, then was as usual.

February 16, 2015 Flag

My son got gum on his basketball warm up shirt, he's picked the bulk of it off. Now it's set in the fabric. Exactly how, if even possible, am I to get it out? The quickest way please.

By Gabe

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 5, 2014 Flag

How do I get gum out of clothes after they have been dried?

By VegasIndystyle

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 4, 2012 Flag

How do you get gum from off of your sheet? My cousin was sleeping with me and this morning I found gum all over my sheets.

By John

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 17, 2007 Flag

How do I get gum out of my good wool coat?

Nat from Copiague, New York

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am not sure, but try placing an ice cube to freeze the gum and patiently removed with tweezers. You may have to do this a number of times. Carla

September 11, 2007 Flag

My daughter left gum in her pocket. I washed and dried load. Some of the clothing has gum in the fabric. Does anyone have any ideas? I read WD40, butter & peanut butter but wouldn't that leave an oil stain? Thanks!

Michelle from KY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I just removed chewing gum from my night gown and my sheets today. I had already washed and dried both and decided to try something simple first. Surprise - it actually worked. I flattened out the areas where the gum was melted in, sprayed the gum with Spray n Wash, used a cool tool for scraping: my thumb nail, and it all came right off! Go figure! Good luck!

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsJuly 13, 2011
young boy blowing huge bubble
Removing Gum From Carpet
Removing Gum From Shoes
Removing Gum From Shoes
A dryer full of clothing.
Removing Gum from the Dryer
Cleaning Bubblegum on a Fur Coat
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 18, 2017 at 3:20:56 PM on 10.0.2.89 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.