Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Making Curtains Out Of Sheets

How do you make curtains out of bedsheets?

By Kay

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Cyinda [214]04/20/2010

Fast and Easy Curtains:
Another way (besides using curtain clips) is to use a seam ripper or a razor blade & open up the top 3 inches of the thread on each side of the top of the flat sheet (where it's folded over). If you open both sides, the sheet will simply slide right on to the curtain rod & all you have to do is to hem the bottom of your sheet!

Spring Rods:
I prefer "spring-rods" instead of curtain rods, because they need no hardware & simply fit tightly inside your window with spring-action! Spring-rods come in all sizes & you twist them to get them bigger or smaller. With the more heavy-duty ones, you use a butter-knife or a screw driver to size them. They cost about $5 at Walmart & are sold with the curtain rods & blinds.

No- Sew Curtains:
If you don't want to ruin your sheet, a simple way to make a quickie curtain is to use a spring rod or curtain rod, then fold your sheet over the curtain rod, so the back is longer & the front (which is shorter) hangs over towards you. Let the back of the sheet hang down to the floor (or however long you want it). Now simply arrange the folds evenly so it looks nice. The shorter part (on top) that is hanging towards you is the "valance". Anyway, this is a quickie way to make an okay looking curtain & you don't damage your sheet.

Fancy Apartment Curtains:
You can use 2 identical sheets & do the same thing, but part them in the middle & add a matching color of ribbon to tie back each side with 2 matching large silk flowers pinned to the ribbon. This looks nice in an apartment or rental house where you want nothing permanent, but want to cover your mini-blinds or windows with something pretty.

By Joan [13]04/16/2010

I would go with the clip on curtain rings. I have seen this done on many decorating shows. It is the easiest way to do it and I am all for easy.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Making Curtains Out Of Sheets

I was wondering if anyone has ever made curtains out of sheets. I was thinking that I could buy some twin size flat sheets of the color, of choice at Wal-Mart and use them. They already have a pocket sewn in, I could put in a curtain rod and tie back. Has anyone ever done this? And if so, how did you like the way they looked. Or do any of you have a better way?

Thanks,
Becky

RE: Making Curtains Out Of Sheets

Instead of using the wide hem to put the rod through you can also use drapery clips. Just put the clip on the sheet then feed the rings through the rod for a clean modern look. (09/05/2007)

By Jodi

RE: Making Curtains Out Of Sheets

My mom made me curtains in high school from sheets. They looked good. I suggest you stay way from patterns that match or look like a sheet print. Unless its a modern pattern. You will have to add a liner on the back or the pattern shows on the street. (08/23/2008)

By cheap

RE: Making Curtains Out Of Sheets

I use sheets as backing for my quilts, as you can get some really nice colours. Also, I use old sheets, as in-between backing and outer fabric. (10/16/2008)

By Elaine R

Archive: Making Curtains Out Of Sheets

I could use an easy, thrifty way to make pretty curtains from bed sheets. Any suggestions?

By Clinda1947 from Tulare, CA

RE: Making Curtains Out Of Sheets

There's really not much to it. You'll need to cut along the ends of the top hem on the sheet so you can get a curtain rod through. If you have matching pillow cases you could make some tie backs out of those.

For a little fancier top you can sew a line across the top hem about an inch from the top. You'll want to still leave room to fit a curtain rod. Doing that will give the curtains a ruffle look on top and make them look more like curtains and less like a sheet. (04/11/2009)

By crunchberry

RE: Making Curtains Out Of Sheets

I buy clamp on rings at our local discount store and just clip them on and hang them up. I like them because it's easy to move the curtains aside. (04/12/2009)

By kladybug

RE: Making Curtains Out Of Sheets

I buy "spring rods" at any store that sells curtain supplies (like Walmart). These are curtain rods that fit inside your window-sills with no nails or hardware needed. They stay up with tension. There are 2 kinds: The ones that twist to tighten and loosen, or the kind that you slide open and shut then use a butter knife or a screwdriver to tighten the screw. Both types have an internal spring and this is how they stay up. You will first need to measure your inside window dimensions, then look for the size that will most closely fit your window. They usually only cost around $3 - $8.

For Bedsheet curtains: You can follow any of the other suggestions written here (they are all great) OR for a simpler version with no sewing or hardware (and this style can be moved from window to window, or back to bed-sheets again if you move). For this style you will need a sheet that looks the same on the front as it does on the back:

Just take the bed sheet and place it over the spring-rod (inside the window-sill) and bring the sheet from the back of the rod then fold it over the top of the curtain rod and towards you. This will form a ruffle or a "valance" of sorts on the inside of the window. Now, arrange the ruffle until it's the correct height and fits the window exactly. Lastly arrange the ruffle so it's neat and tidy and the gathers sit evenly.

If you don't want to see the ruffle, then fold it so it's on the outside of the window. Be sure to carefully arrange the gathers evenly on the spring-rod where the fabric folds over it.

More No-Sew Curtains:

I made "No-Sew"; valance-curtains for my daughter. She didn't need privacy because she had mini-blinds, so we made a valance with attached curtains. It looked like the fancy kind you see in magazines. You can use bed sheets or lengths of fabric.

On the left and right top-side of the window I hung 2 (2 or 3 tiered) wire plate hangers (from the dollar store). These plate-hangers are used instead of more expensive curtain hardware and are to gather and wrap your fabric around. Then using rubber bands, I attached the fabric to the corners forming a "flower" or a "Rose" with fabric and a rubber band (you make these "flowers" like you would make rings when tie-dying). Then wrap the excess fabric around and over the front of the 2 plate hangers, be careful to make sure both (left and right) sides match each other exactly and cover the plate hangers as you wrap the fabric around them.

Now stuff this valance lightly with either crumpled-up white tissue paper or crumple up light colored plastic bags to fluff it up. You will now have a fancy valance-top. Lastly leave a yard or more of the fabric to hang off of each side of the window. If you are using fabric and don't want to hem the ends, you can make "Bishop Sleeves" style curtains by using a rubber-bands or matching ribbon. Stuff the Bishop-Sleeves with more tissue paper.

Lastly if you want, you can tuck several large silk flowers and leaves into the rubber bands or ribbons. We used silk flowers that matched her bed sheets and also wrapped a bit of ivy around the gathers. These curtains turned out beautifully and looked very professional. I wish I had a picture. (04/12/2009)

By Cyinda