Tartar Sauce Recipe

How do you make tartar sauce?

By Roy from Toledo, OH

I use Miracle Whip and relish. Just mix the two and your set. Or you can use mayonaise and relish. How much relish you put in depends on you, but I don't overdo the relish. Hope this helps.

I do the same as LULUbobo but I add a boiled egg.

I take about 1 cup of mayo, add about 2 Tablespoons of minced onion, add 1 teaspoon of relish and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. mix and chill. this is fantastic and I get lots of compliments on it.

I use Hellman's mayonnaise. onion, lemon juice, parsley and capers. To 2 cups mayo, add 1 tablespoon grated onion, 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice, 2 tablespoons dried parsley and 1 tablespoon finely minced capers. Tastes great. You can also just use dill pickle relish instead of capers.

If I want just a quicky tartar sauce, I'll mix Kraft Mayo, some garlic powder, and sweet relish. Like LULUbobo says, not much relish. It works in a pinch. If I were going to make for others, I might do the other recipes, but once in a while I get a craving that just has to be filled Just That Moment! :)

I used to work at Captain D's restaurant, and although we had pre-packaged tartar sauce to put with carry-outs, we made a couple gallons of our own each day for use in the restaurant or to send in portion cups with family packs. The mixture was simple:

1 gallon mayonnaise (not salad dressing)

1 pound (I believe) of fine diced onions

1 pound (I believe) of fine diced dill pickles

The onions and pickles came in pouches that weren't marked with weights, but I think they were a pound. They were fairly "juicy," and we didn't drain. This is what went in the pumps in the dining room. I greatly preferred this to the little packets, which I found too sweet. For fish sandwiches, we would add some dry dill weed to the store-made sauce.

At home, I make:

TARTAR SAUCE

1 cup of mayonnaise

a couple tablespoons of diced onion

a couple tablespoons of fine diced dill pickles.

I often add a sprinkle of dill weed, too, cause I like mine extra dilly. I will use dill relish if I have it, but never sweet... I don't like sweet tartar sauce.

Here's another tip from the Cap'n:

Cocktail Sauce

1 cup ketchup

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon prepared horseradish (from the jar)

This makes a tasty, quick cocktail sauce. The horseradish can be adjusted for taste.

I just mix mayo and relish-sweet or dill work equally well.

A plate of fried fish with tartar sauce and lemon wedges.
Homemade Tartar Sauce Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes CondimentsJanuary 5, 2010
Peanut Sauce Recipes, Pork satay with peanut sauce dip.
Peanut Sauce Recipes
Chopsticks Picking up Piece of Teriyaki Chicken
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipes
Baking Ingredients
Substitution for Cream of Tartar When Baking
🎉
🎄