Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing a Mold Stains on Cotton Quilt

How do you get mold out of a quilt? It is cotton fabric with different colored butterflies on it. It has a water stain and mold where the roof leaked in my closet. Thanks for your help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

By Sissy from Dunlap, TN

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Cyinda [214]03/12/2010

I can't guarantee anything, but I have 2 things you can at least try. If you can't bleach it where the mold is. Try Peroxide. My other idea is Enzyme pet cleaned & odor remover. This Enzyme pet cleaned works by making natural organic stains break down & biodegrade quicker. Just spray it on, let sit & keep it wet with the product. You may have to repeat this twice. I hope this works!

Also, you might try putting lemon juice on the stain then setting the quilt out in the mid-day sun. * If all else fails, take a nice lace doily (or a fabric that matches) & applique' or sew it over the stains. You might even use fancy buttons or cotton crocheted flowers & leaves in colors that match to cover the stains.

By kathleen williams [23]03/11/2010

After trying various solutions I have found online (such as lemon juice & salt, etc.) what I found to work very well is a combination of Clorox2 color-safe bleach and oxy clean. I added both of these to the hottest water the fabric would allow and the stains came out. I pretreated the stains first with some clorox2 by pouring it on the stain and rubbing it in gently prior to washing. Once the wash ran for about 15 minutes, I shut the washer off and I let the quilt soak in the washer for several hours. I then started the washer back up and let the cycle finish. The quilt came out beautifully.good luck.