Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Using Vinegar And Water Solution In Carpet Cleaner

What type of vinegar to use in carpet steam machine?

By Brandi from Nashville, NC

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By merrily moore06/30/2013

I add a few sprinkles of lavender essential oil to the water and vinegar. There is no vinegar smell at all, just lavender.

By Crystal01/31/2011

I've never tried vinegar, but bet it would work good. I always add about 1/8-1/4 c. peroxide to the cleaner I use (I use Resolve) and it seems to help clean better, at least to me. I read it somewhere one time, and thought I'd try it. I haven't cleaned my carpet without it since.

By Keeper [57]01/30/2011

I agree with Omanana.I also read recently to just use hot water. I'm due for a carpet clean and usually do it twice over so I'm going to do the hot water first then follow with the vinegar.

By jean leiner [12]01/30/2011

I use white vinegar, 1 cup per tank of warm water.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Using Vinegar And Water Solution In Carpet Cleaner

I have a Hoover F7427-900 Steam Vac Dual V Turbo Power Carpet Cleaner. I need to know if I should I be filling the cleaning solution tank with straight vinegar, and the water reservoir of course with water, or do I put it all in together in the water reservoir? I've never used vinegar before. Also do I use something with the vinegar to make it smell good, if so, what?

Jon Ann from Summerville, SC

RE: Using Vinegar And Water Solution In Carpet Cleaner

I don't have that cleaner, but I use straight vinegar and I have light gray carpet. (05/21/2008)

By Me

I have never had a problem with vinegar smell because it evaporates. It smells like Easter eggs at first, but it disappears. Just be patient like Job. (05/22/2008)

By Momma2

My carpet cleaner mixes the cleaning solution with the water as it is sprayed on the carpet. I filled my cleaning solution reservoir with straight vinegar. It works great, and the smell will go away when it is dry. (05/27/2008)

By Beth

I've used just about every kind of carpet cleaner solution in my steam cleaner. None of them compare to one simple cheap solution, which is vinegar mixed with water. I use a solution of about 1 to 10 and am amazed at the results every time. It gets rid of spots that come back to the surface and cleans my steam cleaner at the same time. The vinegar smell does stay around until the carpet is completely dry. I usually spray the carpet down with some no-vacuuming foam afterwards while the carpet is still wet and light some candles. I have three messy children and vinegar works great for me! (09/10/2009)

By bedlamite23