Cleaning Tarnished Door Hinges - Categories:

MetalCleaning

Cleaning Tarnished Door Hinges

How do you clean the (actual) door hinge (not asking about the hinge pin)? Just noticed this tarnished look but don't know what type of 'plated' material it is.

CC from USA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

You can take the door down and place the hinges in warm soapy water and use steel wool to clean. However, I find it much easier to tape a wide area around the hinges and spray paint them. They stay free of rust and I can change the color.

I would imagine the hinges are solid brass, not plated. I think Brasso and Wrights make polish for brass in liquid or paste form that you apply with a damp sponge and wipe off. Pretty easy.

Try white (not gel) toothpaste! I use it to get the tarnish off of my sterling silver earrings.

Home and Garden Cleaning MetalOctober 11, 2005
Door Hinge
Fixing Loose Door Hinges
A polished set of silverware
Storing Silverware
Oven Door Towel
Making an Oven Door Towel
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 6:53:06 AM on 10.0.2.136 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.