Crocheting with Thrifty Store Finds

I am an empty nester who loves to shop at thrift stores. I have came across big bags of t-shirts, really cheap. I also have come across many afghans. With the crochet craze I thought it would be nice if i could combine the two. Some of the t-shirts have stains and some do not. Do you have any suggestions on how I can decorate them using thrift store finds? I bought some potholders and I am going to take a nice short sleeve sweater that I bought from Wal-mart about 5-6 years ago and put two of them on like they are pockets. I think it would good with the open weave look. But do you have any sugestions for combining the crochet material with the t-shirts? i would hate to waste them.

I don't have the pattern, but saw several years ago where people crochet yokes for sweatshirts. Perhaps you could use the yarns from the afghans to make collars or yokes for t-shirts as long as they're not too bulky.

Also, I have cut t-shirts into 1" wide strips and crocheted them into really functional entryway rugs.

Crafts CrochetAugust 21, 2004
Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
Crocheting a Stocking
Crocheting a Stocking
Photo of Dorothy from the movie The Wizard of Oz.
Making a Dorothy Costume (Wizard of Oz)
painting furniture
Making Old Furniture Look New