Plug Extension Cords Into Outlets Blocked By Furniture


When placing furniture in front of an electrical outlet, always plug in an extension cord into the outlet. You can hide the cord then when you need the outlet it is in easy reach. Extension cords are $1 at Dollar stores so you can have one in every blocked outlet.

By Conniek812 from Evansville, IN


By Patricia Hamm 4 150 08/14/2009

This is an excellent idea but I would go a step further and get extension cords that have surge protection. I saw first had a great big fireball in my own home through an outlet that didn't have it. Now all my outlets are protected.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Beth 25 1,120 08/14/2009

I love this idea. Now will you help me move that giant chest?!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By sharell 1 08/14/2009

Check where it is made. I bought a multi-plug from the dollar store, and one day we noticed a burnt smell in the living room & found the multi-outlet smoking and burnt, so grateful we were home to notice!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Dr Robert E McGinnis 5 4 08/14/2009

Not a good idea. This could actually be as dangerous as leaving the toaster on under the couch. Extension cords can develop a variety of problems, but should a person have a pet in the house, including a white rat, but a dog or cat will often chew on cords, shoes or other objects. It only takes once. The idea of adding a surge protector is good and you can also buy cords with a GFI circuit breaker built in. (GFI ground fault interrupt) I use that type on my shop equipment.

There are a lot of good rules for using any extension cord and you can usually get a list from your local electric company. Keep in mind, that an extension cord laying loose and hidden behind some object is charged all the way to the end. Children will often be curious as I was when I was very young. I was almost electrocuted by my dad's hidden cord, I got the shock of my life. The easiest way is not always the safest.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By linda 8 57 08/14/2009

This is such a great idea! It is so hard to 'plug-in' something behind a big piece of furniture. This makes it so easy!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Holly 367 1,264 08/14/2009

Get the best quality extension cord you can afford, because you never know what you're going to be plugging into it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Joan 13 1,482 08/14/2009

I use power strips in my outlets. The only outlets in my apartment that don't have to have large pieces of furniture in front of them are the ones above the kitchen counters and by the bathroom vanity. Some rooms there is no other solution. If I wanted to replace the strips and/or extension cords, I wouldn't be able to move the furniture to get to the outlets.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Anna 17 62 08/14/2009

My father was an electrician and one of the first things he taught us was NOT to leave extension cords plugged in without anything plugged in to the other end. Very dangerous.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Patricia Nicholas 13 74 08/15/2009

This is a VERY DANGEROUS Suggestion on so many levels. Pets, children, and fire hazards. An extension cord is not made to be used on a permanent basis, it is a temporary solution.
Here is a great list for safe extension cord usage:
And this is a very informative powerpoint slide show that gives great tips and instruction for the safe usage of electicity in and around the home.
http://www.ameriburn.org/Preven/Pow ... Safety_files/frame.htm#slide0167.htm

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Lelia Jo Cordell 51 1,936 08/17/2009

I second the motion to use surge-protected extension cords. One of our outlets is behind an antique kitchen cabinet that's nearly impossible for two strong men to move, let alone my 75-year-old hubby and me. Our coffee maker is plugged in to this - and we only make coffee every other day, usually. I can turn off the toggle by reaching under the kitchen table, so for the 47.5 hours or so it isn't needed, this particular surge suppressor is off. We also keep the box fans in my bedroom plugged into a surge suppressor. When I want to turn off the fans, all I have to do is hit that toggle. Easy, convenient - and saves on the electric bill, too!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Post a Comment