Organizing Electrical Cords

Category Office
Cords for small appliances, chargers for batteries or electronics, media and computer cords can become tangled and easily misplaced. This is a page about organizing electrical cords.

Do you have cords to plug into an outlet and are always trying to plug it in upside down, because of one prong being wider than the other? In the correct position, put a dab of white out (liquid or tape) on a dark-colored plug or draw a black spot with a permanent marker on a light-colored or white plug. I always do a tiny heart. Sure has made my life easier - sometimes it's the little things!

By Vicky from Central KY

I have a lot of cords laying around ,so I decided to roll them up and put them into some old cassette cases we had around. It makes them easier to store and find. Great for earphones, phone cords etc. It also keeps them from tangling.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

I have a lot of things that use the adapters with the little black box on the cord that plugs in to the electrical outlet in order to use. Each one seems a different size. In order to know what one is for what machine, I write the item on the box with a white out pen or liquid paper pen. It shows up nicely on the black, and I can store the adapters all in the same box without having to guess which one is for what.

By Nightsong from Yates Center, KS

I hated my drawer of various phone, camera, and other power cords and remembered a trick I heard of. Wrap your cord around a straw or pencil, then use a hair dryer to heat the cord up.

Coil Cords to Reduce Tangles

I found a great tip to keep computer cords or any cords organized. Hook a bread tag to each cord and label what cord it is.

This will keep you out of a tangled mess of all those computer cords we have!

I bought a 50 cent tin to match the decor of the room and cut a square hole in the back. We pushed all the phone cord and extra computer line through, hooked it all up, put the lid on the tin and now all the mess is "contained".

I have various electrical appliances with detachable electrical cords. I didn't really like storing the cords inside the appliances because of scratching and didn't like them lying around in my cupboards or drawers.

I have a lot of electronic adapter cords with the black boxes that plug into an outlet. I don't use them all the time.

To keep it straight as to which item each one belongs to, I use white out, or a white out pen to mark them with.

I have 5 chargers for my electronics. I keep from getting them mixed up and tangled up by sticking them in their very own ziplock. The quart size is perfect. I put on the front in marker what device the charger is for and they get stored nice and neat in my desk.

Wrap up excess electrical cord and use a hair band (thread covered rubber band) to keep in place. It keeps it neat and out of the way.

I like the printed designs on Kleenex boxes, they're almost too cute to throw out. I'm sure this sounds like "what" in the world does Kleenex boxes have to do with kitchen appliance cords?

Well, when the tissues are used up I cut the side of the box off and use the cute printed wide strip as my "cord holder".

A piece of recycled cardboard from a tissue box, wrapped around an appliance cord.

If you have several small appliances sharing an outlet in the kitchen like I do, just use a permanent marker to label which cord prong goes to what for example: can opener, blender, toaster etc. then no more guessing which one to plug in.

Using a pool noodle cut to the size of your cord, make a slit half way through your noodle.Then wrap your cord, insert into the slit of your pool noodle.Put into the drawer this way they will not tangle, and you will know where they are. You can also hang them up.

An electrical cord bundled neatly inside a piece of pool noodle.

My pet peeve is the cords hanging behind my TV or an open table. Recently we had some problems with a bad cord and had problems making them all neat and out of the way.

When moving electronics, I find it helpful to mark my cords so that when I am ready to set them back up, the cords are not a tangled puzzle. I mark each cord with a different colored dot of nail polish.

Does anyone have a nice way to hide all the electric cords behind the TV?

Thank you.

By Daniel Racine from Ontario

Answers

Sometimes a twistie tie works well - to at least get them into a neater looking mess. Or the plastic snap apart kind that comes with older type trash bags. I have seen where people have used rubber bands too. Whatever it takes to get them as much off the floor or out of sight as possible.

Take 10 minutes & unplug everything from the wall,make neat little bunches of the cords,winding one at a time around your hand then fastening the wound up cord in a bunch. You might also have a label for each cord (while it is all unplugged)& write on it what the cord is for so you have less hassle later figuring it out again.
Now also is a great time to wipe the dust off the cords & also the wall behind the tv.

Well, one thought is to use foam insulation tubes that are used to cover water pipes in the home. They are black, have different inside diameters such as 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch and 1 inch. are about 5 or 6 feet long and can be cut with scissors. They also are split the entire length so all one has to do is spread the seam and place the wires inside. They sell they insulation tubes at Home Depot and Lowes in the plumbing dept. if you want to check them out.

Zipties. Fold them each seperately back and forth to form about a 3 inch bundle and ziptie around the bundle. Do this for each one. You can use different colors to identify the item or add a tag.

The best method is looping then into a loose 'figure 8' which you can them zip tie into a bundle. DON'T make them into coils as that has the chance of generating a magnetic field. I had a problem with my vcr that would get wavy lines in anything I recorded but worked perfectly at the repair shop. The guy asked how I had the excess wire arranged and when I told him I had 'looped' them in a circle, he told me to 'figure 8' them . I did and the problem disappeared!

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

A friend recently gave my son a hand held game, but we needed to buy a charger for it. The charger recommended at local store is one that has five different adapter options. Once I found the right one for his game, I painted the plastic part of the plug with a small amount of pink nail polish so we can easily find and plug it in.

By Stacey B from Topeka, KS

Nail Polish to Identify Charger Adapter

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

This is a page about toilet paper tubes for organizing electrical cords. Electrical cords are akin to hangers when it comes to the disaster that can arise when they are not well organized.

Toilet Paper Tubes for Organizing Electrical Cords

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Load More

Organizing OfficeJanuary 17, 2012
🌻
📓
😷
😎
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf308504.tip.html