Organizing Electrical Cords

Storing appliance cords in toilet paper tubes to keep from tangling.Do you have cords to plug into an outlet and are always trying to plug it in upside down, because of one prong being wider than the other? In the correct position, put a dab of white out (liquid or tape) on a dark-colored plug or draw a black spot with a permanent marker on a light-colored or white plug. I always do a tiny heart. Sure has made my life easier - sometimes it's the little things!

By Vicky from Central KY

22 More Solutions

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 433 Posts

I have a lot of cords laying around ,so I decided to roll them up and put them into some old cassette cases we had around. It makes them easier to store and find. Great for earphones, phone cords etc. It also keeps them from tangling.

Cords in Cassette Case

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 121 Feedbacks

I have a lot of things that use the adapters with the little black box on the cord that plugs in to the electrical outlet in order to use. Each one seems a different size.

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 555 Posts

I hated my drawer of various phone, camera, and other power cords and remembered a trick I heard of. Wrap your cord around a straw or pencil, then use a hair dryer to heat the cord up.

Coil Cords to Reduce Tangles

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 451 Feedbacks

I like the printed designs on Kleenex boxes, they're almost too cute to throw out. I'm sure this sounds like "what" in the world does Kleenex boxes have to do with kitchen appliance cords?

Well, when the tissues are used up I cut the side of the box off and use the cute printed wide strip as my "cord holder".

A piece of recycled cardboard from a tissue box, wrapped around an appliance cord.

I found a great tip to keep computer cords or any cords organized. Hook a bread tag to each cord and label what cord it is. This will keep you out of a tangled mess of all those computer cords we have!

I bought a 50 cent tin to match the decor of the room and cut a square hole in the back. We pushed all the phone cord and extra computer line through, hooked it all up, put the lid on the tin and now all the mess is "contained".

I have various electrical appliances with detachable electrical cords. I didn't really like storing the cords inside the appliances because of scratching and didn't like them lying around in my cupboards or drawers.

I have a lot of electronic adapter cords with the black boxes that plug into an outlet. I don't use them all the time.

To keep it straight as to which item each one belongs to, I use white out, or a white out pen to mark them with.

I have 5 chargers for my electronics. I keep from getting them mixed up and tangled up by sticking them in their very own ziplock. The quart size is perfect. I put on the front in marker what device the charger is for and they get stored nice and neat in my desk.

Wrap up excess electrical cord and use a hair band (thread covered rubber band) to keep in place. It keeps it neat and out of the way.

If you have several small appliances sharing an outlet in the kitchen like I do, just use a permanent marker to label which cord prong goes to what for example: can opener, blender, toaster etc. then no more guessing which one to plug in.

Using a pool noodle cut to the size of your cord, make a slit half way through your noodle.Then wrap your cord, insert into the slit of your pool noodle.Put into the drawer this way they will not tangle, and you will know where they are. You can also hang them up.

An electrical cord bundled neatly inside a piece of pool noodle.

My pet peeve is the cords hanging behind my TV or an open table. Recently we had some problems with a bad cord and had problems making them all neat and out of the way.

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 255 Posts

When moving electronics, I find it helpful to mark my cords so that when I am ready to set them back up, the cords are not a tangled puzzle. I mark each cord with a different colored dot of nail polish.

Does anyone have a nice way to hide all the electric cords behind the TV?

Thank you.

By Daniel Racine from Ontario

Answers

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 228 Posts

Sometimes a twistie tie works well - to at least get them into a neater looking mess. Or the plastic snap apart kind that comes with older type trash bags. I have seen where people have used rubber bands too. Whatever it takes to get them as much off the floor or out of sight as possible.

Take 10 minutes & unplug everything from the wall,make neat little bunches of the cords,winding one at a time around your hand then fastening the wound up cord in a bunch. You might also have a label for each cord (while it is all unplugged)& write on it what the cord is for so you have less hassle later figuring it out again.
Now also is a great time to wipe the dust off the cords & also the wall behind the tv.

Well, one thought is to use foam insulation tubes that are used to cover water pipes in the home. They are black, have different inside diameters such as 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch and 1 inch. are about 5 or 6 feet long and can be cut with scissors.

They also are split the entire length so all one has to do is spread the seam and place the wires inside. They sell they insulation tubes at Home Depot and Lowes in the plumbing dept. if you want to check them out.

Load More
Organizing OfficeJanuary 17, 2012
🎃
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf308504.tip.html