Shred Credit Card Offers

Identity theft is on the rise. Purchase an inexpensive paper shredder and you could save yourself a lifetime of headaches and a lot of money in the long run.

By imaqt1962

Editor's Note: The above tip was published last year but the story below really hammers this point home. It recounts a story by a blogger who as a test, tore up a credit card offer, re-assembled it and then mailed it to Chase bank. Chase actually processed the credit card offer saying:

"When Chase receives an application for credit, we are legally obligated to appropriately handle it, regardless of the condition."

Shred those credit card applications, if companies like Chase bank can't muster up the minimum amount of common sense, clearly, tearing up your junk mail isn't good enough. Make sure to shred any convenience checks your credit card company sends you or keep them in a safe place.

Read the story here:
Ripped Up Over Credit

but only the cross cut could make a difference

I have an old shredder... the strip cut version. I put all my shreds into a plastic grocery bag and add two or three cups of water, tie the bag closed, and squish the resulting mess as if I were making papiermache. There is no way someone could re-assemble any document or form.

My other major gripe tho concerns the Post Office. I moved about a year ago and filled out the proper "forwarding the mail" papers. Well that was a waste of time! My neighbor at my old address tells me the new tenant gets LOTS of my mail, which no doubt includes un-solicited credit card offers. The new tenant could easily fill out these and send them in. (I have "opted out", but the offers still come now and then.) I had to call Discover Card three times to ask them NOT to send those "checks" in the mail that go to your credit card.

But back to the dumpster diving... I don't think most ID theft comes from that anyway. I think it comes from people hacking into unprotected sites that has LOTS of personal info, like businesses and even the DMV in one state. (I have heard of businesses that doen't shred documents and people may go thru THEIR trash to get info.)

sorry to be so long winded.... this issue is a hot button for me!

i put the blank application and offer in the envelope that is provided and mail them back to the company who sent them without filling out anything : - ))

Hello All!

Everyone, has to go through pretty much all mail these days.

Banks, credit card co' & others send out, unsigned checks & offers already filled out.

What a waste of time, opening, Reading, shredding, opening, Reading, & on on....

Don't shred the credit card offers, BURN them...and then put the burnings (when the are cooled off of course) either in your compost bin, lawn or around your plants.

I don't shred them.I tear them in half and with the half that has my name and address on it I mail it back to the credit card company.In no time I am removed from their mailing list.I get maybe one request for a card per year.

Here's a link on how to Opt Out

Budget & Finance Identity TheftApril 12, 2006
Shopping Online Without a Credit Card
Shopping Online Without a Credit Card
using a credit card
Credit Card Tips and Tricks
A couple renting a car.
Renting a Car Without a Credit Card
Credit Report on Table
Raising Your Credit Score