How Long Do Hard Boiled Eggs Last? - Categories:

AdviceFood Safety

How Long Do Hard Boiled Eggs Last?

How long do hard-boiled eggs last when they're refrigerated in their shells? Thanks.

Maryeileen from Brooklyn, OH

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Just wondering. Do hard boiled eggs have to be refrigerated?

Editor's Note: They can sit out for a while if they are not cracked but after a few hours, I would refrigerate them.

I had heard they last one week (kept refrigerated)

FROM GoodEgg.com

The ClassicHard Boiled Egg

The simple, classic Boiled Egg, is indeed one of the finest and easiest edible delights known on earth, with just 70 calories, and full of natures most perfect form of protein.While there are many ways of preparing Boiled Eggs, we suggest below the directions for making eggs which are the easiest to peel and which will not have the dark green discolored coating on the yolk (see step 2 for tips to help avoid the green discoloration).

Extremely fresh eggs will not peel easily. In fact, an egg that is just a day or two old is almost impossible to peel. As eggs age, the shells will peel more easily. It is advisable that eggs used for hard cooking (including Easter Eggs) be at least 2 weeks old before cooking for easiest peeling. Hard cooked eggs that are cooked slowly over low heat (and not "boiled" will be more difficult to peel.

Directions for Large Eggs:1. Place eggs in a saucepan with enough COLD tap water to cover completely by 1 inch. Bring to a ROLLING boil over HIGH heat. Once the water is brought to a rolling boil, PROMPTLY reduce heat to a lower medium boil and cook an additional 10 minutes for a "hard boiled" egg. For a "soft boiled"egg reduce the time by a few minutes.2. Remove from heat and IMMEDIATELY place eggs under ice cold water or in a bowl of ICED water to chill promptly to help yolks stay bright yellow. Chill for a few minutes in the cold water until the egg is completely cooled. This is an extremely important step which prevents the greenish "ring" from forming on the surface of the yolk over time. If the egg is not chilled immediately after cooking an unsightly dark greenish ring will eventually appear on the outside of the yolk.

3. To peel. Crack on all sides, roll egg between hands to loosen shell,and remove shell. Enjoy, with a light sprinkling of salt if desired. To serve in egg cup, place egg in cup small end down, slice off large end of egg with knife or egg scissors and eat from shell with spoon. Refrigeration is necessary for hard boiled eggs if the eggs are not to be consumed within a few hours. Refrigerated boiled eggs, kept in the shell, can be kept for up to 1 week.

From GoodEgg.com GG.Vi

Thanks everyone. I only have have 3 eggs left from Easter which will be eaten this weekend.

Just to be clear. I had some eggs that were slightly past the due date. I boiled the rest of them for hard boiled eggs. How long can I keep them in the fridge? Sounds like about 2 weeks? I like to keep hard boiled eggs in the fridge and eat them for snacks. If 2 weeks is OK, then I should be fine. I boiled them like just 5 days ago and ate 2 yesterday. No problems. I just didn't want to push my luck. Thanks.

How long will hard boiled egg whites last, peeled and in a container in the refrigerator? I boil 3 doz at a time and I know they are good for a week but will they last longer in case I don't eat them all in one week?

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food Safety AdviceMarch 28, 2008
Two brown eggs, one peeled part way, on white background.
Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs
Sandwich With Soft Boiled Eggs
Recipes Using Boiled Eggs
Marking Hard Boiled Eggs
Marking Hard Boiled Eggs
Soft Boiled Egg
Making a Soft Boiled Egg
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 8:58:42 PM on 10.0.2.128 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.