SearchingInternet Tips

Locating Someone on the Internet

I need solid, tried and true suggestions for using the internet to locate someone. I've looked into the "People Find" type sites that charge and find outdated info. Can anyone help direct me to free sites that might be of help, especially if someone has a name change?

By ChurchGrandma

Go to facebook.com; sign up for it; it's free; then you can locate many for free! If you know of any acquaintances etc. You can add them as "friends" or "look" at their pages; photos; etc; my neighbor just called me this PM telling me she had located a person she knew from 1971; and contacted him!

I've been on Facebook for two years and the only people that I have found are relatives that I already knew where they are and have fairly frequent communication with them. Others that I haven't been able to find I have used up to date names. The reason that I joined Facebook was because I had a lot of people tell me I should be able to find family members that way, for my genealogy project, but haven't had any luck.

I can suggest two sites that may help you , they are mostly free (some of their info requires payment).

http://www.zabasearch.com/

http://www.peoplesearch.com/

Good Luck

BTW: Facebook is only good to find people that use it. For example you would never find me because I don't use Facebook, I don't Tweet and I don't MySpace. And it isn't because I am computer illiterate (I'm not), its just because I socialize on a more personal level (email, it shows some effort was put into the communicae).

Most of the free sites mentioned other than facebook aren't always accurate. I have used the two mentioned a few times. I have also used one called privateeye.com, at times. But every now and then I will go on these sites and look up somebody that I know who and where they are and these sites are sometimes really far behind. I do this just to check their accuracy.

If you're really serious about finding someone with accurate information; we used a paid service. It cost us 99 cents to find a missing relative and was worth every penny.

You might even consider going to the Gen-Forum site, commonly used for genealogy research, but is also used to find family members. Go there and then fill in your last name. Leave your info with dates and locations, as close as you can get. Add any known family members. Some people are recognized by their family connections. Good luck. P.S. This is a free site.

http://www.whitepages.com

This site will display a telephone number without a fee. You can select a State or not.