Flea Remedies Safe to Use on Upholstery

I am having a flea problem in my home. I have 3 chihuahuas all under 10 lbs. I have been reading all the different home remedies. But none have said anything about putting them on furniture.

Taz my long hair likes to sleep on corner section of unit while I am at work. So I have had seen some fleas on us when we sit on the couch. So are any of these remedies safe to put on fabric furniture? I am going to try the salt on the carpet today and bathe them.

I am just so tired of the little hopping pests. I have found them on me. And since dogs sleep with me figured I might even wash sheets in vinegar, too. Would really like to have any info that would help. Thanks.

By SandiF from Stillwater, OK

Best Answer

I have 2 dogs and they brought fleas into my house a couple years ago. I was horrified as I'd never had this problem. I googled every possible solution and ended up using all of them but finally got the fleas out of the house and off the dogs, but it took us pulling out all the stops to do it. And it took a full 2 weeks of hard work to do it.

First, buy yourself a large box of Borax laundry detergent. Borax dries the larva out so they can't reproduce in your carpets; it interrupts the life cycle. Sprinkle it all over your carpets, then wait a day and vacuum; reapply the Borax after each vacuuming and wait a day. Repeat every day for 2 weeks.

Put some Advantix or similar product on your dog (I know there's an expense to this, but you can find off-brands at Walmart that work just as well). This will get into your dogs bloodstream and prevent the fleas that do land on and bite your dog from being able to lay eggs. It's either that or daily bathings with a flea shampoo, and I found that gets old fast.

The next thing I did is buy a can of Siphotrol spray from the Vet (about $15 for a large can), and I sprayed my upholstered furniture with it right after I had vacuumed the furniture really well (by the way, put a flea collar in your vacuum bag to kill the fleas you do vacuum up, or replace the bag each time, or the little buggers will just find their way out of your vacuum).

I took off the cushions, pillows - you name it - and sprayed the entire couch, cushions and chairs. I also put night lights in rooms with the highest concentrations of fleas and put a shallow bowl of Dawn dishsoap and water below it; in the morning I would find dead fleas that drowned (they were attracted to the light).

Lastly, I bought a few of those aerosol "bug bombs" at the local discount store, took the dogs for a trip for a few hours, and let the bombs off in the house about a week after I started all this. After all this, the fleas were gone. Basically, you aren't going to get away with just putting a flea collar on and hoping the problem goes away - it won't work. You have to interrupt the flea life cycle and understand that it will take time to do that until the life cycle has been completely stopped by your efforts.

I also realize that this isn't exactly a homeopathic way of getting rid of fleas, and I don't condone the regular use of chemicals, but I was desperate and this worked for me. Like I said, I pulled out all the stops.

You might try putting a flea collar in your vacuum cleaner bag, then vacuuming every thing thoroughly and often.

Rosemary is also a flea deterrent. Sprinkle it around the house. Leave for awhile, then vacuum.

It's easy as can be. Sprinkle sevin dust. It comes in different strengths. I've used it before throughout home - even on my sheets in my bed at one time. I raise Yorkies and Persians and Basset Hounds. Occasionally the problem occurs and it can get out of hand really fast. They breed very quickly. If you are unsure how bad your problem is in a room or if there is still a problem, put a plate of water with tealight that you have lit in middle of plate and turn light off in room (of course no animals in room or children to knock over). Fleas go to it and drown. Gives you a good idea how bad it is still or if there is any left in room.

Don't put sevin dust inside your home. There are numerous products on the market that are developed for, tested for and sold for specifically indoor flea problems.

Dog and Vacuum
Home Remedies for Fleas
Home and Garden Pest Control FleasNovember 8, 2009
Dog with a Flea Collar
Using a Flea Collar
dog with fleas
Bio Spot Flea and Tick Reviews
Flea on a white background.
Eco-Friendly Flea Remedies