CatsPets

When are Kittens Ready for Solid Food?

I have 3 four-week old kittens. How do I know when they're ready for solid food?

Bonnie from Tuckerton, NJ

They're ready to play with solid food now but should have all they want of their mother. Kittens nurse for 8 or more weeks. Just soak some dry food for awhile (maybe a couple of hours) until it's like a gruel. Then put it in a shallow dish (glass pie plates are good) and put this on papers (reason will be obvious soon!) and let the babies play! They'll walk in it, get it on their feet, and lick it off. Before long they'll discover where it comes from and then stand back and watch them pig out! They should still have their mother with them but this will take some of the pressure off her and they will get a good supplement. Gradually decrease the water over time until they are on solid food (better for teeth and cheaper for you) and they will eat more of this and less of mother.

Watch the Mama cat. When she walks away from their nursing, they're ready for kitten chow. Pet stores sell canned milk for kittens, but I'd keep it diluted and not give it to them very long, adding a little corn meal, tuna JUICE, and even well beaten raw egg at two months. You'll do fine. Just DON'T ever give them canned food. It's full of chemicals and food from diseased animals!! Keep the chow, tuna, egg up and they'll be VERY healthy like my 18 yr. old cat, Kitty Celest (we call her Casey/for K.C.)God bless you and the kittens! : )

My kittens are 4 weeks old and have teeth. When do I start feeding them kitten food?

By Lori