Making Brass Look Tarnished

I have just installed a new shiny brass lock on my seventy-five year old basement door. Does anyone know of anything I can apply to it to make it tarnish or discolor to a dark brown/black so that it will somewhat match the hinges and doorknobs?

Dani740 from OH

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

If it's a new lockset, it's probably got a coating on it to PREVENT it from darkening. There is lacquer remover you can get at the hardware store to remove that and then it'll darken on its own as the handle is used.

IF the brass is coated with a tarnish preventative, remove it with acetone first. (fingernail polish remover) I have had success darkening brass with ammonia...Keep applying the ammonia, until it darkens...you can also try toilet bowl cleaner or vinegar or oven cleaner or salt water...

I would try rubbing lemon juice over it.

Go to HGTV's web site or Lowe's? They air a commercial that does the very thing that you are asking about. They take a shiny brass light fixture and darken it. Forget what they said, but I'm sure it's on their website.

Answer

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating AdviceFebruary 27, 2007
Antique Brass Sink
Cleaning a Brushed Antique Brass Sink
brass candle sticks
Cleaning Brass
Brass Buddha figurine on floral fabric.
Homemade Brass Cleaner Recipes
painted brass
Painting Brass
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 9, 2016 at 1:29:42 AM on 10.0.2.131 in 469 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.