Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Making Brass Look Tarnished

0EmailPrintFollowSave

I have just installed a new shiny brass lock on my seventy-five year old basement door. Does anyone know of anything I can apply to it to make it tarnish or discolor to a dark brown/black so that it will somewhat match the hinges and doorknobs?

Dani740 from OH

By

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Marna (Guest Post) 03/01/2007 Flag

If it's a new lockset, it's probably got a coating on it to PREVENT it from darkening. There is lacquer remover you can get at the hardware store to remove that and then it'll darken on its own as the handle is used.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sharon (Guest Post) 03/01/2007 Flag

IF the brass is coated with a tarnish preventative, remove it with acetone first. (fingernail polish remover) I have had success darkening brass with ammonia...Keep applying the ammonia, until it darkens...you can also try toilet bowl cleaner or vinegar or oven cleaner or salt water...

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sheryl (Guest Post) 03/01/2007 Flag

I would try rubbing lemon juice over it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Heather Krucker 10 282 03/02/2007 Flag

Go to HGTV's web site or Lowe's? They air a commercial that does the very thing that you are asking about. They take a shiny brass light fixture and darken it. Forget what they said, but I'm sure it's on their website.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes