Bring Your Own Silverware to Work

Recently, at my work, I have been on a committee that is looking at strategic planning for the next year, 5 years, and 10 years into the future. One of the issues we have been looking at is sustainability. I have brought my lunch in a reusable lunch bag at least 4 days a week for years now and will continue to do that. I also bring a mug of hot tea with me as I walk to work on very cold mornings to keep me warm. We also recycle printing paper, newspaper, cardboard, and plastic bottles.

Anyway, I had a lot of trouble coming up with how I could further contribute to sustainability in my workplace. Then, one day I was sitting and eating my lunch and looked at the plastic spoon I was using. We had plastic spoons on hand for eating our lunch, stirring our morning coffee, etc. I realized that if every single day, I were to bring my own spoon or fork for eating lunch with me to work, we could actually save money in our department's budget. If enough people in the department did it, we could save some serious money over a year. So, the next day, I started doing just that. Then, someone noticed and commented on it. I told them why I was bringing my own flatware. They thought it was such a good idea and started doing it, too. As far as I know, there are at least 4 people besides myself doing this now. I think it's a terrific idea.

By crazyliblady from Pittsburg, KS

I agree! You could even to go to a store like Costco or Sam's and buy some flatware, and make a chart of volunteers who are willing to wash them at the end of the day for a week at a time, on a rotating basis. There is an initial outlay of money to buy it, but (except for loss), it lasts forever.

My family has morning pancake picnics throughout the summer, and the first time, I nearly bought paper plates, until I started thinking about sustainability. I found colorful, durable plastic plates, and went to Sam's and bought packages of (3 doz. each) plain flatware. My initial outlay was probably fifty dollars, but I have used them many, many times in the past few years; have received many compliments, and will be able to use them for years to come!

We pack lunches in washable, reusable containers, and take "real" flatware when we do.

I applaud your willingness to put yourself out there at work, and set a good example. I think most people are happy to do the right thing; but just never think of how to do it!

Packed Lunch
Packed Lunch Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips School and Work LunchFebruary 4, 2011
A polished set of silverware
Storing Silverware
Woman wearing rubber gloves polishing silver.
Polishing Silverware
old silverware
Uses for Old Silverware
Finished Wind Chimes
Silverware Wind Chimes
🎉
🎄