Recycling Poinsettias

The holidays are all done and the pretty poinsettias are put away. My church had decorated the stage area with these beautiful 3 foot high poinsettias. I called my church to ask what they were going to do with them after the celebrations were over. I was told that after January 6, I could take my pick. I hauled off 5 of the wonderful colorful plants and spaced them around my lanai.

What does your church do with the plants/flowers that they decorate the church with?

By soyzicks from Hawaii

Here is a nice pix of those poinsettias on my lanai.

We take our weekly bouquet of flowers from the altar each week and make individual bud vases out of the presentable flowers and then take them to our shut-ins or those in the hospitals. If the bouquet is not suitable for individual bud vases we then take the entire bouquet to the local nursing homes.

I just read about someone making individual vases out of the flowers each week. We do the same thing at our church. They go to shut-ins and those in nursing homes. So do potted plants.

They are given to the older members of the congregation who can't get to church.

Well, I wish I lived in a warm enough area to put those lovely plants all around my home outside, but unfortunately we live in PA and they would probably die. The Church where I normally worship-for now, may be changing soon. They get the poinsettias through members buying them to decorate the church, and members can take them home after the Christmas Eve Services, if the plants are left, the Outreach group takes all the left over plants and distributes them to the Home bound members of the church, and to the elderly people of the church.

I always buy at least 5 plants in the names of the people that I most love. So many that I have to rotate the list annually :) but I leave them at the church as I have pets that wouldn't think twice about tasting them, and My plants go to the Elderly.

We take ours to people in the hospital and also to shut-ins in our congregation. They sure do enjoy receiving them as they brighten up their lives.

Moat of the churches I have been to have the congregation buy the pointsettias before Christmas for about $10.00. They are put on the altar and the people pick them up Christmas eve to take home.

February 9, 2010 Flag

A lot of poinsettias are discarded in January - so it's time for you to rescue them for your garden or even inside. They have nice greenery and, if conditions are right, they do well outside too. They originally were from Mexico, so don't fare too well in really cold weather outside. We have a plant that was from Christmas years ago and it's now showing those lovely red leaves! Just think - free plants!

I recycled quite a few pink poinsettias from the church after Christmas; took some for myself, gave a nice one to a neighbor and others to a friend who always wants stuff for the garden. If nothing else, the pots and the potting soil can be put to good use!

By Pamphyila from Los Angeles

Answers:

Grow Your Poinsettia After The Holidays

I always think it's sad that people just throw away poinsettias, so this is a great tip!

I also wanted to add that I stopped into the local Extension office one day, and they had a BEAUTIFUL huge plant on the counter. They told me it was a poinsettia, and they give it COFFEE every day. They just pour in the leftover coffee from the pot, and the poinsettia loves it. (01/11/2007)

By zballoongirl

Grow Your Poinsettia After The Holidays

I've tried to keep mine but maybe I gave up too early. I'm from Wisconsin so I'd keep mine indoors all year. Any suggestions for me? Should I try to put it in a pot outside during the summer? I've read you should keep it in a dark area for a few months. Is that still the norm? (01/12/2007)

By mikki

Plants in pots at a nursery.
Saving Money on Plants
Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsFebruary 9, 2010
Recycled Paper Envelope Finished
Making Recycling Fun
Plant Sale
Saving Money by Shopping End-Of-Season Plant Sales
Poinsettias
Selecting and Caring for Poinsettias
dyed pastel poinsettias with glitter
Making Glittered Poinsettias
🎉
🎄