Slick Texture After Coloring Hair

I have been coloring my hair since it has started turning gray. I don't like the texture of my hair for about a week or longer after I've colored it. The dye makes it very slick without any body. I can't even keep it in a ponytail because the slick texture causes the elastic to slip right off! I don't have thin hair really. Anybody have a suggestion on how to avoid this slick texture after coloring? After about two weeks it feels normal, then in two more weeks it's time to color it again.

Mary from Denver

Best Answer

It sounds like you're skipping the step where you add water and work into a lather - the places you miss will be slick. Also, you might want to use a deep conditioner after you color. The slick hair could be damaged. Hope this helps :)

try spraying your hair lightly with hairspray or using a little bit of "gummy-type" hair dressing before you attempt to put your hair in a ponytail. I have found this helps the problem. Also, rinse your hair well after coloring and don't use much conditioner on it for the first week if at all. All that conditioner could be what is making your hair so slick. hth.

My hair dresser says that slick, slimy hair is damaged hair.

Thanks for the feedback. My hair is not really damaged, very few split ends, not slimy really. It's just that after coloring it's too soft to hold a style. It's that way after coloring whether I use a conditioner or not, whether I color myself it or have it professionally done. Styling products like gels and sprays have little effect. I hate this soft, flippy-floppy texture, when normally my hair is thick with lots of body once the coloring is gone (in about 5 weeks). I really don't want to go gray, but it seems the only way to keep the body in my hair. Please, any ideas?