Wax Poured Down the Drain

One of our kids did a NO-NO and was playing around with a candle. The "excess" wax was poured down the bathroom drain. ARGH! The house is a rental, pipes are 70's vintage PVC. What can I do to remove the wax?

HELP!

Aardvark from VA

Have you tried great quantities of boiling water ?

That might help - but it would take a lot

I heated vinegar and baking soda brought to a boil, poured it into the candle wax which had seeped inside the kitchen sink drain with no relief previously from ice and snake attempts. I then followed by pouring boiled water, followed by some more bolied vinegar and baking soda, again bolied water then with wire hsnger continued to move it insid the drain. Did this several times. RESOLVED! I have a free flowing water drainage drain!

move....? I would call a plumber and ask what

he/she would suggest you do...its a free call...

pour lots of hot boiling hot water down the drain.

Zig

I personally wouldn't pour Boiling water down the drain, try a few ice cubes and ice cold water. that will make the wax hard. chances are it is sitting in the "P" trap (bent pipe under the sink) undo the P shaped pipe and take out the cold wax. chances are there is enough soap residue around the inside of the pipe that it hasn't STUCK on it. use some plumbers tape around the treads of the pipe and screw it back together, if not sure how to disconnect and reconnect the pipe, go to your local library and get a how to book on home repair. its not hard and can save you a lot of money! Good Luck!

I believe I would try a combination of baking soda and vinegar, which sets of a chemical reaction that will heat up. Then flush with hot water. You may have to do this a few times, but, I think short of taking apart the pipes, this might be a good idea.

Good Luck

Did you find a reliable method to fix the problem, Aardvark? Funnily enough I have this exact same conundrum right now and am hoping to avoid calling a plumber, too : /

Pour down the drain:

one cup bicarbonate of soda

one cup white vinegar

one kettle boiling water, in that sequence.

Success guaranteed!

Best Answer

This method did work. I really only had to do it once to clear the drain, but I did it twice to be sure - it's been 12 hours since I gave this method a try and the drain is still clog free. I like that this was a simple fix and didn't cost much or anything really since I already had the ingredients in my house. Thank you for your tip!

Thanks Carol the baking soda, vinegar, and boiling water worked perfectly. You saved the day, we're expecting house guests. :)

This method worked with my kitchen sink eventhough the wax was trapped further down in the pipe. It unblocked it straightaway:)

Thanks for the brill tip.

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceFebruary 23, 2006
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
Hot Tea
Cooling Down Hot Drinks
tub drain
Retrieving Parts from a Broken Drain
🎉
🎄