Wax Poured Down the Drain

One of our kids did a NO-NO and was playing around with a candle. The "excess" wax was poured down the bathroom drain. ARGH! The house is a rental, pipes are 70's vintage PVC. What can I do to remove the wax?

HELP!

Aardvark from VA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Have you tried great quantities of boiling water ?

That might help - but it would take a lot

move....? I would call a plumber and ask what

he/she would suggest you do...its a free call...

pour lots of hot boiling hot water down the drain.

Zig

I personally wouldn't pour Boiling water down the drain, try a few ice cubes and ice cold water. that will make the wax hard. chances are it is sitting in the "P" trap (bent pipe under the sink) undo the P shaped pipe and take out the cold wax. chances are there is enough soap residue around the inside of the pipe that it hasn't STUCK on it. use some plumbers tape around the treads of the pipe and screw it back together, if not sure how to disconnect and reconnect the pipe, go to your local library and get a how to book on home repair. its not hard and can save you a lot of money! Good Luck!

I believe I would try a combination of baking soda and vinegar, which sets of a chemical reaction that will heat up. Then flush with hot water. You may have to do this a few times, but, I think short of taking apart the pipes, this might be a good idea.

Good Luck

Did you find a reliable method to fix the problem, Aardvark? Funnily enough I have this exact same conundrum right now and am hoping to avoid calling a plumber, too : /

Pour down the drain:

one cup bicarbonate of soda

one cup white vinegar

one kettle boiling water, in that sequence.

Success guaranteed!

Thanks Carol the baking soda, vinegar, and boiling water worked perfectly. You saved the day, we're expecting house guests. :)

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceFebruary 23, 2006
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
Hot Tea
Cooling Down Hot Drinks
tub drain
Retrieving Parts from a Broken Drain
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 7:03:32 PM on 10.0.2.207 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.