The season for fresh vegetables is upon us, and if you're like me, you welcome new ways of preparing them. I clipped this recipe from our local paper many years ago. It's battered and brown since I've used it so often and so long.
1. Spray 9 x 13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
2. Wash and slice enough yellow squash to generously cover the bottom of the dish. (Sometimes I use both yellow and zuchinni squash.) Put the squash in the dish and then add a layer of sliced tomatoes.
3. Sprinkle with oregano and garlic salt to taste
4. Add a layer of sliced onions.
5. Repeat the spices.
6. Top with slices of American cheese and several slices of bacon.
7. Bake in oven which has been pre-heated to 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.
Note: If you're on a limited salt diet, use garlic powder instead. You may also use veggie cheese and omit the bacon. The recipe is easily adjusted for how many you are serving. Everyone who eats it wants the recipe because it is so tasty and so simple to make.
Source: I clipped this recipe from a newspaper many years ago and don't know the source other that that.
By Sandy from Elon, NC
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!