Type of Staples Needed for Recovering Chairs

What type of staples do I need to use on very hard wood chairs to recover the seats? I have a heavy duty staple gun, but last time I re-covered them, the staples wouldn't go in.

By Kayton from OK

January 3, 20110 found this helpful

Why don't you use upholstery tacks instead of staples.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
January 6, 20110 found this helpful

I had the ame issue with antique oak chairs. Assuming the staples go in a little way you can then tap them with a hammer.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
January 6, 20110 found this helpful

If it's in your budget, I would rent a pneumatic power stapler. Otherwise, upholstery tacks or longer staples may work better. If you recover them frequently, I would glue (no more nails, industrial adhesive) thin slats of softer wood to the underside of the chairs then staple to the slats.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Anonymous Flag
January 6, 20110 found this helpful

I was also going to say upholstery tacks. You can find them at any hardware type store.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
January 7, 20110 found this helpful

Same thing happened to us. I had printed off instructions from DIY. We were making an upholstered head board. Same wood, same fabric. So I knew it had to be the staples. My hubby went to an Ace Hardware and told them the problem and they sold him a sturdier staple. Worked perfectly.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
January 9, 20110 found this helpful

From my experience when they don't go all the way in they are too long. Try using 1/4" staples. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Home and Garden Repair Furniture ChairsJanuary 3, 2011
Throw Pillows
Recovering Throw Pillows
Dining Chair
Repairing Dining Chair Seats
Dining room chair with a vinyl seat.
Recovering Vinyl Chairs
Outdoor wicker style chairs with fabric covered seat cushions.
Recovering Outdoor Furniture Cushions
New Years Ideas!
Christmas Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on December 7, 2016 at 3:35:10 PM on in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.
Loading Something Awesome!