Recovering Outdoor Furniture Cushions

Category Sewing
Sun and weather in general takes a toll on outdoor furniture, especially the upholstered cushions. Rather than buying new ones, you can potentially save money and achieve just the look you want by recovering them yourself. This is a guide about recovering outdoor furniture cushions.

My outdoor chair cushions were sunfaded and stained but other than that were very usable. I made removable, washable slip covers for them from matching curtain fabric and a sofa throw that had been tucked in a cupboard for years and almost forgotten.

The cushions could almost pass for new again. Luckily for me the fabric had a check pattern so it was easy for me to keep the seams reasonably straight. Cost: FREE :)

By Jojo from Australia

This is my current decorating project at my home. I recently inherited some antique wicker chairs from my parents. The chairs have been placed on the front porch of my home. However, the fabric for the chairs was totally not my taste.

Being the thrifty person I am, I remembered some fabric that I had found at Walmart for "outdoor furniture" that I had purchased several years ago for less than $3.00 a yard. I pulled out the fabric and proceeded to rip apart one set of cushions. I used the old fabric as my "pattern" and recycled the cording and the zippers for each of my new cushion covers.

The photo shows the new covers I have made on the left and the "old" covers on the right. I am down to the last of the four chairs to complete the transformation from ugly duckling to swan.

I hope that this inspires others to get out their sewing machines and do something constructive around their homes. It is very satisfying to see what you can do yourself!

Source: Me: Using what I have here at home to make something old look new again.

By Lee from Jesup, GA

When covering patio cushions or patio pillows, look for tablecloths on clearance. The material is really durable and has some stain and water repellent in it. You can also re-spray it with a good stain repellent. I found some beautiful brightly striped ones at Target yesterday that will coordinate well as pillow covers with my patio furniture.

By shirley felts from Tallassee, TN

I bought these really sturdy pillow shams and want to use them to make new cushions for wrought iron lawn chairs. How would I figure the measurements for the 6" foam to fit inside a king size sham? I don't want to waste foam by cutting it wrong.

Answers

Best Answer

The suggested video shows how to use a ready-made cushion but does not show any directions for measuring a piece of foam to fit inside the sham.

• I'm not that good on measurements either but maybe you could find a loose sofa or chair cushion (that is the right size for your lawn chairs) and try the directions given in the video.
  • If you can find a cushion that is close to the size you need then you could use that cushion as a guide as to what size to cut your foam.
  • You may have to make it larger or smaller than the cushion but you want it to be snug fit.
  • You may also have to stitch up the back to keep the cushion shaped properly.
  • If your lawn chairs are going to be outdoors (in any kind of damp weather) I would suggest washing your pillow shams before using.

I was given a set of outdoor couches by my brother when he moved away. The fabric is ripped and falling apart. Is there any easy way to make replacement covers for the cushions (for someone who is intimidated by the sewing machine)?

By dawn from FL

Answers

I used fabric shower curtains I got from Thrift stores or Goodwill. Made it like a pillowcase and whip stitched the ends closed. You could just tuck it, wrap it around the cushion if you don't want to sew. Or, use the iron-on stitch witchery to make the seams. Sheets can also be used. Neither is water-proof but dry easily.

There are many simple patterns out there to use, versus trying to make a pattern. Sewing cushion covers is fairly easy. Just use a scrap of the materials you will be using to get the number of stitches correct, and also the tension. Could a friend help? Since you will be sitting on them often they need to be secured in order to look decent. Take your time, maybe start with simple pillows for an accent. Good luck!

You could use the cheap tablecloths you get at the Dollar Store. Buy some stick on velcro. You can get that at WalMart. Just cut out the shape for your cushion and stick the velcro on the eges and press together.

They're also easy to replace later with the velcro on them. Just pull them off and make new ones!