Recycling Furniture Cushions to Go With Your Decor

This is my current decorating project at my home. I recently inherited some antique wicker chairs from my parents. The chairs have been placed on the front porch of my home. However, the fabric for the chairs was totally not my taste.

Being the thrifty person I am, I remembered some fabric that I had found at Walmart for "outdoor furniture" that I had purchased several years ago for less than $3.00 a yard. I pulled out the fabric and proceeded to rip apart one set of cushions. I used the old fabric as my "pattern" and recycled the cording and the zippers for each of my new cushion covers.

The photo shows the new covers I have made on the left and the "old" covers on the right. I am down to the last of the four chairs to complete the transformation from ugly duckling to swan.

I hope that this inspires others to get out their sewing machines and do something constructive around their homes. It is very satisfying to see what you can do yourself!

Source: Me: Using what I have here at home to make something old look new again.

By GeorgiaBulldogsFan from Jesup, GA

I like that you recovered those chairs! How did you do the piping on the cushions? I'm new to sewing and that just makes the cushions look so good!

Hello,
You did a wonderful job! They looks absolutely gorgeous. It is also nice to have the chairs that your parents gave you, I am sure they mean a lot to you. Have a Great Summer

Hi, I'm a big fan of HGTV and they said if you're making outdoor cushions, use shower curtains. The material in shower curtains is made to withstand moisture. Just thought you would like to know. Joanie

My admiration (other than that they look beautiful) is that you went ahead and did one at a time and you're now almost finished. I think of something like that, think of how long it will take and end up not doing the project at all because I don't think I have the time.

You've taught me something that I didn't learn a long time ago. Thanks.

You've done a really great job, they look fantastic. I love the pattern and colours.
I recently made washable slip covers for my outdoor chair cushions but they're pretty basic as I'm not a great sewer and could never even attempt piping.
Great tip about using shower curtains from another poster, I'd never have thought of that and if I ever need to make another set I now know what to use :)

Girl you should have your own show on HGTV. These cushions look fantastic. You see the good in everything.

What a beautiful job you did. I want to follow your example. You're a true inspiration and thank you for sharing this.

In These Pages
Crafts Home DecorApril 15, 2009
💘
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf64062936.tip.html