Making Chair Cushions

Category Home Decor
Chair cushions add not only comfort, but beauty and style to your seating. This is a guide about making chair cushions.

This is my current decorating project at my home. I recently inherited some antique wicker chairs from my parents. The chairs have been placed on the front porch of my home. However, the fabric for the chairs was totally not my taste.

My daughter complained about how hard the chairs were at school and requested I make a cushion for her. I warned her she might get picked on for having a seat cushion. She said she didn't care. She picked the fabric and I made it. Now her classmates fight over it when she's not in the room.

By Ellen from Ontario

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I have a lot of new long sleeve t-shirts (with logos from disabled vets) and would like to know how I can use them to braid (chair seat pads). I've used them to make pillows, and mats, but now want to know if anyone has used jersey t-shirt material to braid rugs and chair pads. Thanks.

By Alicia Kelly from South Hadley, MA

Use the web search engine and type in "braided rug instructions" or "hooked rug instructions". I got some good results. Good luck.

Here's a video made showing how to cut the material into one long strand rather than many strands you have to tie many knots in to connect. She shows you how using a plastic bag but the principal is the same. Any item you have that is a tube can be done this way.

T-shirt cut off below the arm holes or skirt,pant legs,pillow case or shirt sleeve - it doesn't matter as long as you begin cutting a tube as shown you end up with one long strand!
http://www.yout  ch?v=q4gJSR4RtDw
sorry to ramble
I use her method all the time to cut my plastic bags down to crochet with. If you are new to this you might not realize to not cut as wide as she cuts in the video if you want to use a smaller hook but because the plastic scrunches down pretty well you might be ok - you might want to do a test strip to see what size you need to crochet with the hook you plan on using

several braided rug tutorials here

I need to make chair cushions for my wicker furniture, just the bottom. Does anyone have a pattern along with a list of material they used?

Jan from Atlanta, GA

Measure the bottom of the chairs, allow for seams.I suggest to get fabric that can be used for rain coats. You can compare the prices of other fabrics, like water proof, & etc. It's the same for the stuffing & the sheets of foam, good luck.