Searching for Copy of Childhood Book: Korean Version of - The Legend of the White Serpent

When I was a child my father was stationed in South Korea for a year. While over there he sent me an old book that I think used to belong to a library over there. The book wasn't tall, but actually a bit wider than most books, with a blue cover that had like a gold diamond pattern on it.

The story in the book was a variation of The Legend Of the White Serpent. In this version a young Asian school boy buys a little white snake off a street vendor. He keeps the snake in his desk at school until his teacher finds it and makes him get rid of it.

He releases the little white snake into the wild where eventually the Gods find the snake and decide to turn her into a beautiful maiden. She then decides to go looking for the boy, and in her journey she meets another woman dressed in jade, they fight for a bit and then become soul-sisters. Together they continue the quest to find the school boy, and when they do he is a man and he falls madly in love with the white snake maiden.

I don't remember everything that happens, but I know they have a child, she dies, he gives the child up, I think and he becomes a monk.

I treasured this book as a child, but in one of my moves it seems to have become lost in transit. For years I have looked for another copy of it in vain. I can't remember if this book was both in English and perhaps Korean? But it did have beautiful artwork on every page. If anyone could give me some advice on how to find it, I would deeply appreciate it.

By LauraS from TX

Answers

I love your story! What wonderful memories you have. thank you so much for sharing.

I buy my used books on line.

thriftbooks.com

albris.com

betterworldbooks.com

cozybookcellar.com

abebooks.com

a1books.com

biblio.com

amazon.com also has books and you can search for your book. many other book companies use them so a search covers a wide range of book companies who might have your book.

Some of the book companies i listed have a search program and you can search for a book. If it doesn't come up you can put in a request for your book so when/if it does come in, they email you. You have to act fast though if you get an email that your book is in; they sell out fast. I'm not sure exactly which ones do though, sorry. I feel sure amazon.com doesn't have a 'request' feature. But like I said many book companies sell their books through them.

They also have books written in languages other than English.

I believe all of these sites have a rare book and out of print section too.

If I find it i will post it to you.

If you find it, will you post it with the ISBN number, please? I'd love to have a copy too.

I'd search the web and even see if you can find Korean book stores, they must have stores that cater to Korean people. You might even find a translation or you can translate it on line too.

I'm not a computer wizard otherwise I'd give you better advice on searching. I use ask.com where you can pose what you're looking for in the form of a question. 'where can i buy a copy of ....' for example.

Good luck sweetie. I really hope you get lucky and find your treasure. Please keep us posted ok?

Consumer Advice Product FinderJuly 27, 2010
Parenting an Autistic Child, Diamond shaped traffic sign warning, autistic child area.
Parenting an Autistic Child
Self-Publishing a Book
Self-Publishing a Book
A blank address book
Address Book Tips and Tricks
Stack of paperback books.
Repairing a Paperback Book
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 17, 2016 at 7:17:46 PM on 10.0.1.65 in 905 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.