DogsPets

Someting to Carry a Puppy In

I am from Las vegas with a brand new puppy. Howie weighs about 10 lbs and is 4 months old. I need something to carry him in besides my arms when we go out or visiting. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rona

Try a baby carrier - they have the ones for in front of you available now but my mom used to put her 2 poodles in a backpack type carrier for babies years ago. You have to safety pin a blanket or ? where the babies legs go so the puppy won't fall out.

Why are you taking the puppy with you when you "go out or visiting"? Please ask before you just show up with the dog. He will make his mark on furniture and around the yard of other people's places to mark his territory.

If you still have to take the dog along...why not put the dog on a leash when you go for a walk and then have a kennel along in the car that you can put it in when you "go visiting"?

I VISIT MY CHILDREN AND THEY ASKED ME TO BRING HIM. THEY LIVE IN CALIFORNIA.

THANKS KAREN FOR THE BABY CARRIER IDEA AND THE BACKPACK IDEA. DON'T KNOW WHY I DIDN'T THINK OF THAT.

i used a duffle bag for my 10 lber. she would hang over the side at the zipper part and just look around.

Being a puppy, still, I think the best place for him, would be locked in a bathroom at home, while you're out visiting, etc. In the bathroom, accidents could be easily wiped up, if need be. The person(s) you're visiting might not appreciate a new puppy being brought to their home. Be considerate of others. Think about it, would you want someone to bring in a new puppy into your nice home?

Also, in Vegas, don't leave the puppy in the car, I heard on tv where if someone see's an unattended pet in a vehicle, they can report it and animal control can break into your vehicle to retrieve the hot pet. Just like an unattended child. That's not even counting the fines for leaving one in the car. I know I see drivers with their pets in the cars/trucks all the time. I watched a program on tv where they said if a driver leaves a pet in the car, even with the window rolled down a bit. When the animal starts panting (having his tongue out). He's already hot, but when you see an animal trying to paw his way out of a vehicle, he's only got a matter of seconds to live. Otherwise he'll slip into a coma and die. I never realized all it could take would be a matter of just a few minutes for a pet left in a vehicle to die.

I use a backpack for my chichiaua, I carry her several places. On vacation some of the shopping stores allow me in with her as long as she is in the backpack.

I always keep a leash on her and keep her in the backpack.

Of course there is places's that don't allow dogs, but that is understandable.

If you try a pet store there is dog carriers like those for children only fit the pet better. Also if not near a pet store go online and many items available from pet places.

Cork

The question was simple, and one I share, but the attitudes displayed in the responses were amazing to me.

Its interesting how many different opinions are stated here. So many assumed that you were imposing your puppy on others. others expressed concern about traveling with your puppy due to the puppy's well being. In my opinion, both are assuming that you are an irresponsible pet owner, which is a very unfair place to start.

I've been in the position of having people come to visit with adult dogs that are not potty trained that expect me to understand their lack of training (and to deal with the damage to my home). I agree that is inappropriate. But that's not what you were proposing, was it?

I would never leave a dog in a car, regardless of the heat I felt, because I am knowledgeable about the affects, just like leaving a child unattended... wouldn't do it. Again, you weren't proposing that!

What you asked, which so many of us are looking for, is a way to carry our small dogs in a way that is comfortable, safe, and unimposing. they are our friends, companions, and in many ways our children, if we can bring them with us in a way that is not imposing on others and safe for them... why not?

Why do so many people address other's questions from a negative? I will never understand that position.