My Dog Is Leaning His Head to One Side

I am a newbie here. I have a 3 year old Pomeranian who is in excellent shape. However, gradually his head has been leaning over to the side. The only way I can describe it is, as if you are talking to him and he tilts his head to listen. He still eats and plays, normally. I have taken him to the vet, done blood work and they checked his ears, etc. Any help would greatly appreciated.

By marebear from Canada

My dog does this, he's just lazy. If your dog seems to be happy, he probably is, pet him tilting his head straight scratch under his ears. See if his ears both twitch a little. It could be just a habit for him or it could be just comfortable.

Is there a dog chiropractor in the area? If so, maybe a visit would be in order. We have a chiropractor come to our house once a week for our 15 year-old Golden Retriever. Ask your vet for a referral.

I don't want to frighten you, and I hope I'm wrong in this instance, but I've seen on a show on the BBC of America channel on tv recently that if a dog is overbred, they can get a certain disease after they become adults. Their head first starts to turn like you're talking about. It's a neurological disease and though not terminal, destroys their quality of life. it puts them in a huge amount of pain, and that makes it impossible to live with and they have to be put down. I don't remember the name of the disease, but please ask your vet about this. It's especially common in little dogs, including Poms. good luck!

Is he deaf in one ear?

Hello,

Please take your baby to another Veterinarian for a second opinion. I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years. The new vet can order the copies of all the lab/test done on your baby from your previous Dr., then you won't have to pay to have them re-done. Good luck

Since your vet already said your baby is okay after blood tests etc I don't see any reason for concern especially since it happens when you're talking to your baby. I see dogs do this all the time and it's because they're simply being animated when you're talking to show they're listening like when a person shruggs their shoulders wondering what someone is saying or tilts their head watching or wondering about anything :-) Even in animated cartoons they show dogs doing this behavior so don't worry unless your dog starts showing imbalance problems when walking or running ;-) I am actually surprised your vet didn't explain this is normal but will test anyway to be careful and sure :-o

Hi all, thanks for the replies. I wish it was that simple of him tilting over to the side and goes right back to normal position, but it doesnt it stays tilted to the side. I just used the example it was like you are talking to him and he is listening to you! I am still looking for answers for my boy!

I hardly think that this is a sign of laziness, as someone has stated. I would definitely take him to another vet ASAP.

Pets Dogs HealthDecember 13, 2009
Mallard Duck swimming in a lake.
Mallard Duck Information and Photos
Dog Shaking Head
Dog Keeps Shaking Head
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dog the Bounty Hunter Costume
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
🎄