Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Color Stains out of Other Colored Clothes

I just washed all of my baby's clothes, two of which were gifts and some of these dresses are really expensive and beautiful ones. However, the color bled into all the others and they have turned bluish/reddish. Can anyone please suggest a way of getting them back to their original colors?

I did not have this problem before with her other colored clothes, just this lot (actually one of two blueish red outfits.) I am so upset, because some of these dresses she hasn't even worn. Please help.

By

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Sandra30309/26/2011

Thank you Phyllis! I had washed my son's khaki uniform pants with something red and it stained them pretty bad. I had tried re-washing twice with no luck and was sure that they were ruined. Then I read your post and I can not tell you how happy I was with the results of the Carbona. The stains are out and he will never know what happened. I will be sure to keep a box of this at home from now on.

By jean leiner [12]11/08/2010

If the sweater is washable, wash it by itself with a Shout Color Catcher sheet. I do not usually push brand names, but this is one product that works. You could also take the sweater to a dry-cleaner's.

By (Guest Post)02/26/2009

I had a coat fade on a khaki purse of mine Is there anyway to remove the color that faded on it.

By Phyllis (Guest Post)02/19/2009

I use a product called Carbona Color Run Remover. It is expensive (less than $5), but worth every penny. Just follow the instructions. Some stores have it with the dye or you can always find it at JoAnn's Fabrics. I keep a box on hand at all times.

By Pam [1]02/19/2009

Rit color remover will do the job for you. I always keep an extra box in the laundry room for when this might happen.

Here are questions related to Color Stains out of Other Colored Clothes.

Question: Color Stains Out of Other Colored Clothes

I have the same problem. I washed some clothes and one of them bled on the others and the other clothes changed in color. I live in Lebanon and I didn't find the products named in the feedback. Could someone help me please?

Memo

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Color Stains out of Other Colored Clothes

I need to find out how to get color stains out of other colored clothes?

RE: Color Stains out of Other Colored Clothes

Try using OxyClean or a similar non chlorine product. This may help. Otherwise, just keep washing and hope the other color fades. You could also consider dying the garment. - Susan (06/26/2003)

By ThriftyFun

Hi, There is a product on the market called "Rit Color Remover". Grocery stores and Wal-Marts carry it in the cleaning aisle. Priced at just under $2, you add it to the hottest water that is safe for the garment, agitate to dissolve it, then add the article of clothing and let it soak for a few minutes. Check every few minutes for color change (you don't want to bleach all the color out, just the color that doesn't belong). When the abnormal color is gone, spin out and wash as usual. You can also do this in a pan of water if you don't want to use the washing machine. You follow the same steps to remove all color prior to dying a garment. I have used this product several times in the past with great success. (06/28/2003)

By gizmo81795

From Removing Stains from Clothing and Fabrics at (weblink)http://www.toledoaasr.com/Kitchen/stains.htm(/weblink): Dye - If dye transfers from a non-colorfast item during washing, immediately bleach discolored items. Repeat as necessary before drying. On whites use color remover. NOTE: Do not use color remover in washer, or around washer and dryer. It will damage the finish of them The Tide Fabric Care network may give you a solution. I don't know enough about your stain and/or affected clothing to carry out the process. Check with the Stain Detective at (weblink)http://www.clothesline.com/staindetective/selectStain.jhtml# (/weblink). I believe there is a new product out for just this purpose which you put in the dryer to absorb the transferred dye; however, I can't remember the name of it. Checking the laundry aisle where you shop may uncover it. Good luck! (08/06/2003)

By FlaKathy

If the red clothing is new, make sure you don't wash it or dry it with anything light colored no matter what temperature you use (otherwise you get some nice pink clothes, towels, etc.) The temperature isn't as important as the other clothing with it. Until you are sure all of the red dye is out, wash it with other reds or darker clothing. (01/09/2005)

By ThriftyFun

My light blue cotton shirt has got red colored stains while washing. How can I remove the stains?

SUJATA

(submitted via email) I have a brown cotton pant and the pant is dirty with blue colour stains. Please help me on how to remove blue colour for my brown pant. shweta (06/24/2008)

By jess_admin

(submitted via email) I washed my husband's blue cotton shirt with my daughter's yellow dress and now the shirt has yellow stains. How will it go off? Please help me. Soni (06/30/2008)

By jess_admin

(submitted by email) My white churidhar was washed along with a blue colour dress and the colour came over the white dress. How do I remove that blue colour? Reni (07/15/2008)

By ThriftyFun

I, by mistake, washed red garment with light colored clothes and all of them got the pink stains and now they are dry already. What should I do to remove these stains? I used bleach and Vanish also but nothing is helping me. I live in Hong Kong and tried to find RIT and Oxy clean Products but I was not able to find them here. Kindly suggest me some other alternatives to get my bright clean clothes back. (07/16/2008)

By Deepika

I have found Oxy Clean does a pretty good job, especially when combined with a stain remover directly on the spot. Apply stain remover, and then soak garment in Oxy Clean for quite a few hours and quite often, if not most of the time, you will have success...hopefully. :-) (09/11/2008)

By Laurie

RE: White stains on color clothes

I have white stains on my color clothes after washing and they won't go away. I heard diluting vodka in water/ solution helps, does anyone know if this is true or have any suggestions? I've already switched to liquid soap. (11/15/2008)

By Manny

How do you remove color stains from a shirt?

Rohini

Fix an enamel sink or pan full of hot water. Add to this 1 cup of powdered dishing water detergent and 1 cup bleach. Swish this around and put the article in solution. Let sit about an hour. You would think that this would hurt the colored articles so far it has not damaged any of mine and I have been using this solution for over 30 years. Glitz (01/05/2009)

By Glitz

My daughter accidentally soaked her favorite pink jacket with her sister's brown pants. How can I remove the brown stain from the pink jacket? Please help.

Florence

I had a soup stain on my yellow shirt. I put blue soap on the shirt to wash out the stain but then the blue soap can't come out. How can I get out the blue soap? (01/09/2009)

By BJ

Iron Water Stains Out of White Clothing

I washed my daughter's new white sweatshirt in our water that I didn't realize was loaded with iron. I have it hanging to dry, but the brown iron spots are VERY noticeable. Any suggestions on how to remove these iron spots? (01/09/2009)

By Amy