Mother Earth Cornmeal Pancakes

Well, breakfast on a daily basis is hard when you are on a budget like mine of $525 a month thru SSI, so what I do is make Mother Earth pancakes. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients

• 2 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
  • 4-5 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 salt
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 cups buttermilk
  • 4 Tbsp. butter, melted
  • 2 slight beat egg yolks
  • 2 stiff egg whites beaten too

Directions

Stir together the dry ingredients. Add the milk, and yolks, blend them well together. Fold the egg whites into the mix. Let it stand until there are no bubbles, about 10 to 14 minutes. Bake on a hot, lightly greased pan.

I like to make a lot as I like to stack them and smear homemade jelly on them and in between them too. This recipe can serve up to three people if you make them small enough. Butter can be left out overnight to be melted just so you know you don't have to thaw on the morning you make it. This recipe gives me energy to make it to noon as I have no longer been doing brunch, because my meds. have changed my sleep pattern to make me wake early and not late. Well, eat happily and have fun with the pancakes too.

By Tanya from Dilworth, Minnesota

Now 'THIS' is a Christmas morning breakfast :)

Thank You Tanya..

My Mom is also on SSI and her favorite thing to make is goulash.. tons of it. she'll put it in bags and freeze it.

I loved the pancakes that the recipe said for ingredients plus we put chokecherry jelly on them. We live in Alaska. Berries and other jam making stuff in the kitchen make these pancakes of yours Tanya simply delicious. Hope your income improves soon. I would hate to live on what you live on monthly. It would never go that far in Alaska even with our tax credits. Well got to go god bless you Tanya for your way of life.