Light vs. Dark Kidney Beans

By Judy 2 18

Light vs Dark: Can anyone tell me what the difference is between light red kidney beans and dark red kidney beans? Also, what's the difference regarding brown sugar?

Judy from Wisconsin

Showing: Answers Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Although I can't say for certain about the beans, I would guess its just the variety that makes them be a slightly different colour. As for the sugar, most brown sugar is white sugar with a little molasses mixed in, unless you're talking about demerara and other specialty sugars, which are less processed than other types. To make brown sugar at home, mix 2 Tbsp molasses in one cup of sugar. You have to mix it well to evenly distribute the molasses, but it is absolutely delicious, fresher tasting and more moist than the brown sugar you'd buy in the store.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Debbie Dzurilla 28 1,125 Flag

As far as I know, dk brown sugar just has more molasses. I don't know about the beans and if the flavor is different between dark and light red kidney beans. I tend to buy dk red for my kidney bean salad tho.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Marty Dick 167 967 Flag

I have heard that darker beans are more nutritiious. Armed with that information I suppose we should all eat black beans.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Dark Kidney Beans have a slightly thicker and tougher skin...the light beans are thinner and softer...I use the dark ones...

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Holly 367 1,263 Flag

I have read that brown sugar is just white sugar with molasses mixed back in, and therefore less tasty than it used to be years ago. So you might as well do it yourself at home, or buy the real deal, which is Demerara sugar.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I think Alton Brown says that light brown sugar makes for chewier cookies, dark brown crunchier. But I do know "brown sugar" is just sugar that has been bleached and then the molasses added back. I do not know of the unbleached version of sugar, usually found in health food stores and larger grocery stores, will bake up the same at the commercial brown sugar (as most recipes are made for C&H Brown sugar).

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By joan pecsek 88 545 Flag

Dark red kidney beans have a stronger flavor, are "meatier" and have more nutritional value. Light brown sugar is less refined than white and dark brown is even less refined. Contrary to what a lot of health food types say, brown sugars are still sugar, they are not "better" for you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Originally brown sugar was sugar that hadn't had the molasses refined out of it. Now they probably do refine it all and add back some to make it brown sugar again. The person who mentioned Alton Brown is on the right track but has it backward. More molasses (darker brown sugar) = softer cookies. See his show about chocolate chip cookies where he makes three different kinds.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By D-Mc 42 Flag

Light and dark brown sugar is only due to the fact that more molasses is added to the sugar to make dark brown sugar.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Food and Recipes Food Tips Beans and RiceAugust 1, 2007
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Canning Green Beans, Freezing Green Beans, Growing Green Beans, Storing Green Beans, Drying Green Beans
Storing Green Beans
Freezing Green Beans
Homemade Dog Food
Homemade Food for Dog with Kidney Disease
Kidney Bean Salad
Kidney Bean Salad Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 12:42:49 PM on 10.0.2.120 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings