Activities for the Elderly and Disabled

Finding activities appropriate and enjoyable for the elderly and disabled can be frustrating. This is a guide about activities for the elderly and disabled.

Elderly Woman Walking with Daughter
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I live in an apartment building for seniors. It's a nonprofit organization, so in other words, we do not have much money for crafts and activities. It's a government apartment. so we all are on Social Security. We need suggestions for things for us to do, fun things that doesn't require a lot of money! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Group activities that involve listening are really good. I took part in a reading aloud group for about a year, where I would read a poem or short story aloud and we would discuss it afterwards. That was really good as quite often the stories would remind them of a story from their past, some were pretty funny! I did it as part of The Reader project http://www.thereader.org.uk/

I also like listening to podcasts with my nan, which could work well for groups too. Instead of sticking headphones in you just need to play it aloud, or hook your device up to a speaker. There's a great mix of podcasts out there, my nan likes a scary story so we listen to the No Sleep podcast http://www.thenosleeppodcast.com/ but there are also some more ideas here http://www.ageukmobility.co.uk/mobi ... /article/beginners-guide-to-podcasts it's nice listening to podcasts with other people

Read More Answers...

I am a CNA at a nursing home in Des Moines, Iowa. I take care of a 96 year old lady who is 90% blind and deaf. She is very restless, always calling out for help, and continually wants to return to the bathroom, but usually doesn't void. I think it's because she has nothing to do.

I've looked for activities to keep her busy, but it has proven difficult to find something for the deaf and blind. Not to mention she is 96 years old and frail. She's definitely bored, as before she came to us she was still living at home alone and busied herself with whatever she did there. She does still walk, but not far and she is a fall risk as she has proven herself to be very unstable. Any suggestions of how to keep her busy and not have toileting and meals be the only stimulation of her last days?

By Tabitha

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Would it be possible to get some massage for her? Even if it is just gentle rubbing of her arms and legs. It is tough to lose your senses one by one. Many good posts here...bless you for caring.

Read More Answers...

My mother is legally blind and handicapped with a left arm she is unable to use and a right arm and hand that will work but on a limited basis. She has been active all of her life and now sits in a nursing home where she is bored and wants something to do so that she feels like she is accomplishing something. I have gotten her books on tape which have helped but I would appreciate any ideas you can suggest. Thank you.

Christine

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Another thing she likes is DVS movies it is only sound but Described as you go along with the original soundtrack. they are free to download at http://www.blindmicemart.com/assets/product_images/movies2.html I put up to six movies on one CD.

Read More Answers...

My mother has macqular degeneration, problems with incontinence, dementia, and cannot walk well. Any suggestions to stimulate her mentally and physically would be greatly appreciated. She is 93 years old.

By cpw2002

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can rent books on CD's from the library-if she likes listening to them get her a simple CD player. Also, remember pets - see if the home she's in allow visits from dogs & cats. Elderly people love petting them. You can pay to have a Caregiver stop by and take her for a walk or ride in her wheel chair, polish her nails, brush her hair etc. You can find them on the web and from hospitals & elderly departments in the town you live in.

Read More Answers...

This is a guide about craft ideas for nursing home patients. Finding crafts that nursing home patients will enjoy making can be a daunting task.

Elderly Woman doing needle work

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm looking for fun activities for the elderly?

Kim from Platteville, WI

Answers:

Activities for the Elderly and Disabled

I'm an activity director in Miami FL. The elderly people that I deal with on a daily schedule, they just don't like anything I do. How can I be creative and get them to like some of the ideas that I have? We have a word game every day, and we have parties every month. Can someone give me some suggestions on what more can I offer them? (12/19/2008)

By PEACHES

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am looking for activities for the elderly and disabled.

Gillian from Scotland, U.K.

Answers:

Activities for the Elderly and Disabled

My mother led a senior citizen craft program for years & she found out that the participants liked to be able to make easy crafts as gifts - for their families and grandchildren. A lot of them has needlework skills - so for example, embroidering on plastic lattice that cold be made into things like eyeglass cases - or even napkin holders - or Xmas ornaments were very popular. I would also recommend decoupage - and any crafts using recycled materials. (02/16/2007)

By pamphyila

Activities for the Elderly and Disabled

Take them to a local farm to feed horses carrots. Just stop at a local farm to ask or call and ask. You will find they dont mind at all in most cases. Also some may have pigs they can feed thru a fence also. Animals are a wonderful way to make people of all ages feel good to be alive. Or, take them to the zoo with the senior discount and let them ride the zoo bus to avoid all the walking. Yes, crafts are good too. Or also you can invite a local high school or junior high school choir to visit and give them a concert. :) (02/16/2007)

By Lily 59

Activities for the Elderly and Disabled

My son made a gift for my mom she likes to use every once in a while, it's a board with three pegs on it, and three rope circles, and its a homemade toss game, she loves it and thinks of him when she uses it.
    (02/16/2007)

By shauna

Activities for the Elderly and Disabled

I downloaded old songs (to us) from when they were younger and had a sing-in with them. I remembered some of the words from hearing my mom play records when I was a kid. They loved it! One lady who had not talked for a long long time sang some of the words to a song. It brought tears to all of our eyes! Music is good for uplifting your spirits. (02/16/2007)

By themuffster

Activities for the Elderly and Disabled

Playing with play dough is nice. Good exersize for the hands. Some of the toys that we played with as kids are great. An etch a scetch, slinky, puzzles, simple board games, and read along books on tape. I used to work with disabled children. They loved all these things. (02/17/2007)

By sandy63

Activities for the Elderly and Disabled

i think once a week it would be nice to go to an elderly home or a person's home that is in-bound. Visiting for about 2 hours just talking is great. You'd either remenise on how things use to be or learn about them and compare. Anyway I do this and have enjoyed it and learned for 3 years. (02/18/2007)

By LRP

Activities for the Elderly and Disabled

I design crafts for the elderly and I have some advice which is true no matter what you're doing. Make your colors bright. Make pieces big enough so your friend can handle them easily. Most of my folks can't manage anything smaller than 1/2 inch across.

Don't stay for three hours: It puts too much on your friend. Keep your visit to about an hour, and then let your friend have a nap, a snack, her lunch...
    If you are doing handwork or crafts, make sure there is enough light focused right on the work! Most people have no idea how much more light we need as we get older.

By all means, do sing-alongs and talk about "When you were first married" or "When Grampa worked in the store" because that has a truly positive effect on your friend. (02/20/2007)

By blind quilter

Activities for the Elderly and Disabled

I liked the ideas. I worked with elderly and found that they like to talk mainly about health and laugh. They also like sharing ideas about what to do when this or that happens regarding health. The seniors that I worked with like to visit other seniors. One of the biggest concerns was daily contact and next was food. (10/12/2007)

By nini

Activities for the Elderly and Disabled

I find the elderly like to make necklaces and bracelets with beads. The beads need to have fairly large holes in them. I use hat elastic as it is fairly firm and easy to poke through the holes. even a blind resident can do this. I tape sticky tape to the end so that they don't all run off the end. they usually give them to me to tie the ends together. They like to make the necklaces for their grandchildren or sometimes we make them for the annual fair to put on the craft stall. (01/12/2008)

By sue

Activities for the Elderly and Disabled

Most elderly residents are capable of using a brush to cover a sheet of card with coloured paint, cut the painted card into strips and laminate. The resulting bookmarks are a quick and easy way to boost self esteem. They look good, are useful and can be personalised.
    (03/10/2008)

By Valerie

Activities for the Elderly and Disabled

I work as an activities coordinator and one group activity my clients enjoy is to simply throw a beach ball to each other. They say the name of the person and a letter of the alphabet. The person who catches the ball either says a verse, sings a snippet of a song or tells a reminiscence story relating to the letter. (03/24/2008)

By claire

Activities for the Elderly and Disabled

I have some activities aids at http://www.inspiritbuxton.com You may find useful. (04/12/2008)

Activities for the Elderly and Disabled

I am a disabled person living in Council Bluffs, Iowa and would like to know of activities in this area for me to do. Please respond with any feedback. I would greatly appreciate it. (08/13/2008)

By Mark Cutler

Activities for the Elderly and Disabled

I really need specific ideas for activities for the elderly. I am an activity assistant trying to branch out on my own. If you can help me I would very much appreciate it. Thank you email me at rwalker0012 AT kctcs.edu
    (09/05/2008)

By rachel

Activities for the Elderly and Disabled

I am the Activity Director in a long term care facility and have excavated ideas using the internet creating a positive way of integrating new ideas in my programs. My residents love innovation using conversation and memory stimulating techniques for lower functioning. Other residents love live music programs from vendors in the community. Have a Birthday Bash once a month to celebrate with cake, ice cream and balloons, they love it! We have coffee and word games every morning at 10:00 which gives them socialization with others and stimulates mind function. (09/09/2008)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Entertainment AdviceMarch 4, 2013
    Ederly woman
    Definition of Elderly
    Woman Cooking for an Elderly Person
    Cooking for an Elderly Person
    Dog with Elderly Man
    Pets and the Elderly
    Disabled veteran in a wheelchair in front of an American flag.
    Housing Assistance for Disabled Veterans
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 25, 2016 at 1:47:05 PM on 10.0.2.56 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.