Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Activities for the Elderly and Disabled

Elderly Woman Walking with Daughter

Finding activities appropriate and enjoyable for the elderly and disabled can be frustrating. This is a guide about activities for the elderly and disabled.

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Use a Mechanic's Creeper to Garden

I'm not about to give up gardening because I'm disabled, but it hurt too much to bend over all the time. So I figured out that if I use a mechanic creeper (you know, those things that mechanics use to roll under cars on), then I can sit on it, be closer to the dirt, carry my supplies, and I don't have to bend over. It works on grass, sidewalk or even in the dirt as long as it's not not wet. One more "dis-" I just took out of disabled! Happy Gardening.

By MobeaB from Texas City, TX

Tip: Craft Projects for the Elderly and Disabled

There are so many small craft projects, with assistance that the elderly, handicapped and disabled can do! My most important suggestion is not to involve them in a lengthy project, but one they can accomplish in a short time frame.

Here are a few ideas, but use your imagination as there are a lot of brilliant members on Thrifty Fun!

• Take a photo of this person, assist them to draw around their face on the photo by using a cup centered and an ink pen. Assist or cut out with scissors or pinking sheers. Use a hole punch to make 2 holes an inch apart. using Tacky glue, add a trim piece of lace around the edge of the photo, make a small bow and glue that on the top or bottom but, not to overpower or interfere with their photo. Use a large safety pin between the two holes, allow to dry. Voila! They can wear a pin with their own photo that they helped to create!

• Another easy project is to allow them to look at pictures in magazines to see what draws their interest. Ask them to point, smile, or discuss if they see something they like or has a fond memory for them. Mark these items and also things that you feel the person would like. Cut these out, glue all of these items onto a poster board as a collage! Use a Glitter Pen to put their name at the top! This is a sure hit! Allow them to assist as much as they can! A lace trim glued to the outer edge makes it a tad more fancy!

• Refrigerator magnets are also a hit made from photos, left over craft items, etc. They stick to metal wheel chairs and walkers, you know! Most of all, use your imagination for them for projects!

• I have not come across one person who would not like to help make a homemade card! Left over craft items, paper stock, colored markers and glue! It can be for any occasion of just because!

• Cookie decorating is fun for all!

I guarantee these projects will be a hit and very rewarding, both ways! Their motor skills and abilities may be impaired but, with your help, the possibilities are limitless! Please add your own creative ideas to this! Thank you!

By Missy MM from OH

Article: My Frugal Life - Thrifty Disabled Senior

I am a disabled senior trying to live as frugally as I can, considering Social Security isn't anything to brag about. My Frugal LifeI get around in a motorized wheel chair. Our state has a law that seniors and disabled do not need to pay bus fair on our city buses. I can ride any bus, they all are wheel chair accessible, free.

When I shop, I almost always buy generic. In my building, residents who get groceries from food pantries, may take items they don't like downstairs and put them on our 'give away table'. I do the same.

I have a home aide three days a week, two hours each day. This is government program covered and never costs me more than one or two dollars a month, usually nothing. On our 'cooking' day, we make up 3-4 of the same meals and freeze them. Saves time and mess for me during the week. I go out usually two days a week.

Tuesday it is to a grocery store that has a senior bingo every week. Everyone is guaranteed one prize, but can win more. One week I won 8 items. Prizes are grocery items that are in a cart provided by the store. Items are $1 or less. There is also a gift certificate for $10 for the store.

On Saturday I go 'bumming'. My one splurge for the week is I eat either breakfast or lunch out, I may do shopping, or go to a movie. There is a theater group here that has the policy that says if you are in a wheel chair, you don't take up a seat, you get in free. Haven't paid for a movie in four years.

The only problem to my plans is the weather. In summer, etc., rain can keep me from going out if it is bad enough. In winter, snow creates problems, because there can be slippery conditions or just can't get over/around it, if it is not cleared. So sometimes I have to alter my plans as necessary.

I do what I can, when I can, watch for sales, save when I can, every little bit helps.

By knitter926 from Bloomington, IL

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Share Your Feedback: Once you try any of the above solutions, be sure to come back and give a "thumbs up" to the one that worked the best for you. Do you have a better solution? Click "Share a Solution" above!

Here are questions related to Activities for the Elderly and Disabled.

Question: Activities for Middle Aged Man in Nursing Facility

My husband is 52 and recently went to live in a care facility. I visit him everyday and he is depressed because he is lacking stimulation. I need any ideas on activities he can do at the home. Any suggestions? He is capable of using all limbs and has good sight and dexterity.

By Jessie S from NC

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi05/30/2012

All great ideas. And MartyD...the Crochet Dude would love to add another "dude" to his list of crocheters! Ancient fishermen used to do the rudimentary finger hooking for making nets, so it really did start out with them!

Crafts of any kind are wonderful therapy, esp' when you can, like you said, sell or give them away. Cards are also good. I am never without a deck of cards for those times when I have the opportunity to do nothing but think and play.

He could listen to audio books, and ask others to join him in listening, too. It could be like the movies we would pay .5 for in junior high and we got to watch 20 minutes of a movie. It made the anticipation of the next day something to look forward to. Plants are also wonderful things, as it gives the person something to care for.

I take large kid's size puzzle pieces and make frames and other crafts out of them. It's fun to create something from something else.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc ... 003lllllllllll0&aqi=g4&pbx=1
The above is what I got when I googled crafts from puzzle pieces and there are lots of ideas.

Making the bird houses is great. But I have an idea that is along those lines and safer. You can get them already done at the local dollar stores and craft supply stores. With a bit of sanding and some decals or paint, your items can be proudly displayed in a gift shop.

I hope these help. I am sending a link to the crochet dude's site. Good luck!

http://blog.thecrochetdude.com/

Question: Activities of Very Elderly Nursing Home Patient

I am a CNA at a nursing home in Des Moines, Iowa. I take care of a 96 year old lady who is 90% blind and deaf. She is very restless, always calling out for help, and continually wants to return to the bathroom, but usually doesn't void. I think it's because she has nothing to do.

I've looked for activities to keep her busy, but it has proven difficult to find something for the deaf and blind. Not to mention she is 96 years old and frail. She's definitely bored, as before she came to us she was still living at home alone and busied herself with whatever she did there. She does still walk, but not far and she is a fall risk as she has proven herself to be very unstable. Any suggestions of how to keep her busy and not have toileting and meals be the only stimulation of her last days?

By Tabitha

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny [9]04/04/2012

Would it be possible to get some massage for her? Even if it is just gentle rubbing of her arms and legs. It is tough to lose your senses one by one. Many good posts here...bless you for caring.

Question: Craft Activities for an Elderly Blind Client

I work with an elderly lady who is legally blind and she wants to work with her hands to keep busy. Any suggestions?

By Mary from HI

Most Recent Answer

By shorner106/04/2013

I suggest finding craft projects that involve other sensors. For example, if you can find scented play dough, it deals with touch and smell. I don't know if I would suggest teaching her how to knit. I think it is really frustrating to learn even with sight. Another project I would recommend is making silly putty which can be an enjoyable experience due to the squishy textures. You make it with little mess by measuring equal parts Elmer's glue and liquid starch into a plastic baggie and squishing it around to incorporate the ingredients. Then you can take it out knead it together and squish it around. Good luck, and have fun!

Question: Activities for an Assisted Living Home

I am the coordinator of social activities for an elderly care home. Any ideas for an easy, simple recipes, or food decorations for the residents to do?

By Malky from London

Most Recent Answer

By nash mcmillan05/02/2012

There was this game I played at school and I was thinking it would be fun for residents to do. You get a beach ball and you cover the entire ball with questions, about an inch apart from each other.

For the game, you toss the ball to a resident when they catch it whatever question their pointer finger on their right hand lands on that's the question that they have to answer. I think this games help promotes memory, because the questions are things they would have to think about, things from their pasts like what there favorite candy was growing up, or what they like to do on the weekends when they were younger. It also helps with physical because they have to catch the ball so they are up and being active.

Another thing is it helps residents get to know each other and socialize. I am going to be introducing this game to the assisted living facility that I currently work at.

Question: Locating Christmas Activities for Assisted Living Residents

I am an administrator for a company called Flourish Homes; we support the disabled and elderly within our sheltered housing schemes. I have been given the task to find local activities or entertainment for them.

As it's near Christmas I thought maybe Christmas activities would be something fun for them. We are based in Frome Somerset and I was wondering if you knew of any local companies who were doing Christmas activities in my area. If you could email me any useful information it would be most appreciated. Many thanks.

Miss Clare Louise

Most Recent Answer

By Veronica12/10/2010

If you have access ti iTunes you might think about downloading and playing some old-time radio Christmas shows from the 40s and 50s. Just type "old time radio comedy" into the search box and you'll find Jack Benny, Fibber McGee and Molly, and lots of others and they're free.

Question: Activities for the Elderly and Disabled

My mother is legally blind and handicapped with a left arm she is unable to use and a right arm and hand that will work but on a limited basis. She has been active all of her life and now sits in a nursing home where she is bored and wants something to do so that she feels like she is accomplishing something. I have gotten her books on tape which have helped but I would appreciate any ideas you can suggest. Thank you.

Christine

Most Recent Answer

By mike02/01/2010

Another thing she likes is DVS movies it is only sound but Described as you go along with the original soundtrack. they are free to download at http://www.blindmicemart.com/assets/product_images/movies2.html I put up to six movies on one CD.