Ways to Occupy the Hands of a Terminal Patient

My dad is in the late stages of cancer. He is unable to do things for himself now. He sits in his chair in/out of reality, fidgets with hand towels and blanket corners (folding, unfolding, shifting from arm to arm of chair). I am looking for suggestions for other means to occupy his hands?

You can get a Koosh ball. Kids with ADD in my school benefit from it. It feels nice, too. I think he will like it.

There are some fidget / therapy toys available or like a stress ball.

Because your dad has use of his hands how about macromae cords cut into 2 inch lengths have him shred them if he ask you why he has shred the macromae tell him you need it to stuff pillows that you are making gives him the incentive to accomplish the task for you being his daughter you will be surprised. This shredding is good for his fingers and hand mobility a great excercises buy your cords in different colors. Please reply and tell me how he is doing.

Would he knit or crochet? I was surprised to learn that many older men knit. My dad does, and many in the nursing homes do as well. It seems that during WWII, country schools knitted squares before, after school or during recess or lunch. The squares were then put together to make blankets to send to the soldiers. Even some of the men with memory issues still knew how to knit when I worked in the nursing home.

I'm sorry to hear this. :( I've read this is great for restless hands with the elderly. The colours help the mind, as well:

https://www.ama  9b2e0d66eb5e0cac

I did help with a similar situation with a friend with Alzheimers and it was not an easy task. We found that buying items from a childrens department (toys for under 3 yrs worked best).

Here is a list of some things we tried (most helped for at least a little while):

1) stuffed cloth doll (has to be sturdy-no eyes) 2) bean bag or two 3) large keys  either from toy store or any large keys on a ring 4) cloth story books (toy store)

We also found that playing soothing music was a big help as well as trying to keep a quiet peaceful atmosphere.

Dont forget  the caretakers need restful periods also.

Would he be permitted to spend time with a small pet? I've read that cats and dogs can be very therapeutic.