Can Salt Control Algae in Fish Pond?

I have a 7000 gallon fish pond with more than 70 Koi fish. I am faced with the problem of algae, and it is spreading very quickly. The walls of the fishpond are marble. One man advised me to put salt into the fish pond to control the algae. Is that true? Algaecide for fish ponds is very difficult to buy, and could not be found. How can I control the algae without damage to the fish?

By Soe from Yangon, Myanmar

Koi are very expensive fish. Don't do anything or add anything without first checking with a koi expert.

If it's an outside pond it's getting to much sun you must have as much as the top water covered with plants to cut the sun light. If you have plants and you use a algae killing chemical it will kill the plants trust me. Salt will help if your fish are sick we had to do it once but it must not be be the regular table salt.

Please go to this web site it will help you with your problem the web site is http://www.exoticwaterscapes.com/index.php

It will give all the information you need to understand and get rid of algae. Hope this helps

I have read that putting sterile carp in a fish pond will take care of algae. I dont think i would use salt tho. I put two in my pond I have on the farm where I live and it worked. No more algae. Go to a farm supply store and order one. I think one should do it. Hope this helps.

Tough question!

It's certainly a good idea to know how to get rid of the algae in your pond, but nothing beats designing for a good healthy ecosystem with the right combination of plants! Koi are tough on plants, but there are ways to protect the plants so they can take up the nutrients and compete with the algae.

...A pond without fish is like...well...the air without birds!

I have been using an algae control system product that I found to work VERY well. It is safe fish and you can even swim while using the treatment. I would check out this site for more information!

http://www.adbio.com/site_maps/algae.htm

Controlling Algae in a Pond
Controlling Algae in a Pond
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousFebruary 25, 2008
Pond Fish
Protecting Pond Fish From Wildlife
Garden Pond
Building a Garden Pond
Backyard Pond
Controlling Grass in a Backyard Pond
Beautiful Swan
Decorating a Pond for a Wedding
🎉
🎄