Can Salt Control Algae in Fish Pond?

By soe 2 1

I have a 7000 gallon fish pond with more than 70 Koi fish. I am faced with the problem of algae, and it is spreading very quickly. The walls of the fishpond are marble. One man advised me to put salt into the fish pond to control the algae. Is that true? Algaecide for fish ponds is very difficult to buy, and could not be found. How can I control the algae without damage to the fish?

By Soe from Yangon, Myanmar

Showing: Answers Sort

By LuvMyGingerKids 46 316 Flag

Koi are very expensive fish. Don't do anything or add anything without first checking with a koi expert.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

If it's an outside pond it's getting to much sun you must have as much as the top water covered with plants to cut the sun light. If you have plants and you use a algae killing chemical it will kill the plants trust me. Salt will help if your fish are sick we had to do it once but it must not be be the regular table salt.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Please go to this web site it will help you with your problem the web site is http://www.exoticwaterscapes.com/index.php

It will give all the information you need to understand and get rid of algae. Hope this helps

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Janette 91 153 Flag

I have read that putting sterile carp in a fish pond will take care of algae. I dont think i would use salt tho. I put two in my pond I have on the farm where I live and it worked. No more algae. Go to a farm supply store and order one. I think one should do it. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Tough question!

It's certainly a good idea to know how to get rid of the algae in your pond, but nothing beats designing for a good healthy ecosystem with the right combination of plants! Koi are tough on plants, but there are ways to protect the plants so they can take up the nutrients and compete with the algae.

You may want to recommend the eBook I wrote to your readers. It's a detailed yet concise guide to everything you need to know about <a href="http://www.www-WaterGarden.com">pond building</a>.

It goes into great details of designing and building a pond for a healthy ecosystem.

Cheers! Kevin Scott

"The Water Garden Guy"

...A pond without fish is like...well...the air without birds!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By JB 34 Flag

I have been using an algae control system product that I found to work VERY well. It is safe fish and you can even swim while using the treatment. I would check out this site for more information!

http://www.adbio.com/site_maps/algae.htm

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Controlling Algae in a Pond
Controlling Algae in a Pond
Previous
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousFebruary 25, 2008
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Duckweed in a Pond
Getting Rid of Duckweed in Your Pond
Backyard Pond
Controlling Grass in a Backyard Pond
Controlling Algae in a Pond
Controlling Algae in a Pond
Beautiful Swan
Decorating a Pond for a Wedding
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:25:50 PM on 10.0.1.8 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings