Can Salt Control Algae in Fish Pond?

I have a 7000 gallon fish pond with more than 70 Koi fish. I am faced with the problem of algae, and it is spreading very quickly. The walls of the fishpond are marble. One man advised me to put salt into the fish pond to control the algae. Is that true? Algaecide for fish ponds is very difficult to buy, and could not be found. How can I control the algae without damage to the fish?

By Soe from Yangon, Myanmar

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By LuvMyGingerKids 46 316 02/25/2008

Koi are very expensive fish. Don't do anything or add anything without first checking with a koi expert.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Sharon (Guest Post) 02/26/2008

If it's an outside pond it's getting to much sun you must have as much as the top water covered with plants to cut the sun light. If you have plants and you use a algae killing chemical it will kill the plants trust me. Salt will help if your fish are sick we had to do it once but it must not be be the regular table salt.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Barbara J (Guest Post) 02/26/2008

Please go to this web site it will help you with your problem the web site is http://www.exoticwaterscapes.com/index.php
It will give all the information you need to understand and get rid of algae. Hope this helps

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Janette 91 153 02/26/2008

I have read that putting sterile carp in a fish pond will take care of algae. I dont think i would use salt tho. I put two in my pond I have on the farm where I live and it worked. No more algae. Go to a farm supply store and order one. I think one should do it. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By TheWaterGardenGuy (Guest Post) 03/11/2008

Tough question!

It's certainly a good idea to know how to get rid of the algae in your pond, but nothing beats designing for a good healthy ecosystem with the right combination of plants! Koi are tough on plants, but there are ways to protect the plants so they can take up the nutrients and compete with the algae.

You may want to recommend the eBook I wrote to your readers. It's a detailed yet concise guide to everything you need to know about <a href="http://www.www-WaterGarden.com">pond building</a>.
It goes into great details of designing and building a pond for a healthy ecosystem.
Cheers! Kevin Scott
"The Water Garden Guy"

...A pond without fish is like...well...the air without birds!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By JB 34 07/07/2008

I have been using an algae control system product that I found to work VERY well. It is safe fish and you can even swim while using the treatment. I would check out this site for more information!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No