Getting Rid of Bleach Smell

Category Odors
Bleach Bottle
Chlorine bleach is a strong chemical and when used as a diluted cleaner can leave a strong odor. This guide is about getting rid of bleach smell.

If you are using a cleaning agent (called White King or Demostos as used in Australia) containing a chlorine base (chemical name Sodium Hypochlorite), use white vinegar on your hands and the smell will disappear.

By Spoilground from Portarlington, Australia

Editor's Note: Sodium Hypocholorite is also commonly known as bleach.

If you have had to use bleach to get your mattress clean, the bleach smell may linger for a while until it dissipates. This is a guide about removing bleach smell from a mattress.

Mattress

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about removing bleach odors from carpet. Whether it is the result of a spill or a cleaning effort, the odor of bleach in your carpet can be quite strong and unpleasant.

Label of a Clorox bleach bottle.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

My brother recently cleaned a small chest type freezer with a very strong bleach solution. The smell of bleach lingers. What can he (we) do?

By Annelle from NE PA

Best Answer

Try rubbing the chest with lemon juice. You will need to leave it open for a few hours so it can completely dry out.

Best Answer

Put some charcoal from your BBQ in there and close it up. That should soak up the odor. You can still use the charcoal when you're done.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Try 1 tablespoon Bicarbonate Soda (UK) diluted in warm water. Wipe out the freezer with the solution. Leave the freezer unplugged and open for 24hrs. You can use BS safely and effectively to clean fridges and freezers. Detergents of any kind are not advised.

Bicarbonate Soda is also called Baking Soda.

Best Answer

Only way I know how to rid the odor of bleach from something is to rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse and rinse some more with water until gone. That might be difficult since it's winter outside and the most convenient way would be to move the freezer outside. But if you have an area where you could swing it, that's what I'd suggest. Turn on the hose and blast that baby down. If it's taking a long time to rinse it out, let it air dry in between rinsing. While it is air drying, sprinkle it with baking soda. Then rinse again. Repeat until you do not smell bleach anymore. (I'd cover up my nose and mouth with a mask while doing this.)

Best Answer

I would wash the inside of the freezer with straight white vinegar. Let it dry naturally. After it dries, wait about three to five days and wash the inside again with plain warm water. The vinegar will neutralizes the bleach.

Best Answer

Just leave it open for about 48 hours in a room with good circulation. If the room is closed off, put in a small oscillating fan for same amount of time.

I poured bleach on some cement inside of my house. How do I get the smell out?
Thank you!

Answers

Best Answer

Never combine bleach and vinegar, even in small quantities.

http://chemistr  -And-Vinegar.htm

My dogs peed everywhere in my laundry room, (really big puddles). The only cleaner I had was bleach and I poured way too much bleach and it started stinging and burning my eyes like not even 2 minutes later. What can help get the smell out fast?

Answers

First off open all the windows and doors in your home. You need to get the air circulating in the room.

Second, use fans in the room to push the odor out the window. You want to try and push as much of the odor out of the room as possible.

Third, leave the fans running and pour some baking soda or activated charcoal on a plate. Sit the plate in the middle of the room to absorb the odor.

Open the windows and put on some fans. You can also put some baking soda or activated charcoal into a dish and leave in the room

First - be sure you have removed all of the bleach from your floor (rinse several times with clear water) and remove any mop or rags used to clean with as they will still be holding the bleach and odor/smell.

Open windows and even doors if possible so you have a good current of air blowing through the room. Set any fans so they are blowing in one direction (with any natural air current) and put several bowls of vinegar, baking soda, fresh coffee grounds (unused), even newspaper will help.

Leave any of this odor absorbing stuff out overnight and close the door if possible (until morning).

A deck cleaner product that contains bleach spilled in my trunk. I immediately removed the liner and cleaned it with water. I have not put it back in, however, my car still smells of bleach. I went to the dealer and they sprayed on one of the products they use and it still has not helped. Having the windows closed means the entire car smells. I can taste it in my mouth after having driven a short distance. My attached garage also smells after the door is closed overnight. I have placed a deodorizer in the garage. It helped very little. What can I do? My issue is with warmer weather it is going to smell every time the humidity rises. I am beside myself. Has my car been ruined? Would having it detailed by a professional help or is that a waste of money in your opinion? Any help would be much appreciated. I anticipate your expert help in resolving this issue.
Thank you.

Answers

Use Nok-Out. You can get it from Amazon.

You need to open the windows for a few days and let it air out.

I'd spray diluted white vinegar and leave the windows open

Thank you for the advice.Will try.

I did open the truck and let it air out.It has been a week of airing the car along with the garage.It is not all gone ,but getting better.I called the mfg.of the product and they said water alone will not cut the smell.They suggested using PineSol.I washed the entire trunk with that and I think that is working.Thank you for the suggestion.

I had my outdoor cushions professionally cleaned because they were too dirty for me to tackle. Now they smell very strongly of bleach. Is there any way to get the smell of bleach out of the cushions?

By destin39 from AL

Answers

You can rent an ozone machine (from a rental store). Just run it for 6 or more hours in a small room with the cushions. Ozone penetrates & removes odor without chemicals. An ozone machine can remove all odors from upholstery, fabric & rugs.

Before your do this you might first try using an odor neutralizer (like Febreze Vanilla. It has a very light scent) or put the cushions in the sun for a day, & keep flipping them over. The UV rays should help dissipate the bleach odor.

As one person already mentioned, if you expose your bleach "scented" cushions to fresh air and sunshine, turning them often, then try a bit of Febreze, you should be happy with the results.

Anonymous

do not mix febreeze on the bleach, that is what i did and ugh......i would use a carpet cleaner with water!

The other day I washed some T-shirts, that I found in a box that were mildewed, with Clorox in my washing machine. I added concentrated Clorox to the dispenser. I can't get the odor of Clorox out of the room even though there are six windows that have been opened and I have run 10 washes some without clothing in hot water. Every time I walk into the room my throat gets a irritated and I taste that metallic taste of Clorox. It's a new porch and I'm really nervous that some of it might've been destroyed by the odor seeping into the walls. How can I eliminate that odor from the room and for the washer?

First of all obviously you really need to air out that room.

Secondly, as clorine is a base, you need to neutralize it with an acid.

Get an empty spray bottle and put full strength white vinegar in it, then spray liberally throughout the room.

Unless ther'es an open source of bleach contaminating, you should fix your situation.

Do a load with an entire bottle of vinegar. The bleach smell will go away, and the vinegar smell won't last long.

I just dropped a bottle of bleach, probably less then a cup spilled, but it left a really powerful smell that I need to get rid of. It's in my basement right next to the washer, so there's not really a way to circulate air though the room. I know you shouldn't use vinegar, how else can I get rid of the smell? I have pets so I'm looking for something nontoxic

How to I remove the smell of bleach in my sink?

By Nabeeha from Markham, Ontario

A whole gallon of bleach got spilled on my laundry room floor which is tile. I have been airing the room out and cleaning the floor going on 3 days and still the smell is there and the smell is going into my bedroom. Help, how can I get rid of the smell?

By GG B

I washed my plastic persiennes with some stuff that has 5 percent chlorine bleach. Now I can smell it in the flat. Is there any way to neutralize that chlorine smell or do I have to wash the persiennes again?

By tomislav from Croatia

How do I get rid of chlorine bleach smell from my basement? It is coming up into my house and we can't breath, I used too much to get rid of mildew!

Burdeno from Ohio

Answers:

Getting Rid of Bleach Smell

It should evaporate in 3 days as the bleach naturally decomposes and loses it's disinfecting power (02/09/2006)

By Debbie in SC

Getting Rid of Bleach Smell

It sounds dangerous to me. Chlorine is very strong and if it is making you sick, make sure you do the best you can to air out the basement and the house. If there are windows down there, leave them open for a few days.

If it is too bad, you may have to go somewhere else for a day or two.
(02/09/2006)

By Susan from ThriftyFun

Getting Rid of Bleach Smell

I would try using vinegar to neutralize the smell. It is pretty good at doing things like that.

Sincerely, Karen in IN

Editor's Note: Although vinegar is good for getting rid of smells, it makes a toxic gas when mixed with bleach. (02/12/2006)

By jkmiller95

Getting Rid of Bleach Smell

Bleach and vinegar are on opposite ends of the pH scale. Here, I neutralize the bleach odor with white vinegar. Since the Editor noted toxic gas resulting from mixing bleach and vinegar, I'd recommend opening all the windows and doors. Place a fan, facing outward, at a window to draw out the fumes.

You might also try spraying the area with Febreze. I got the kind made for taking strong odors out of laundry. You can dilute it for other applications. Diluted laundry Febreze in a spray bottle works on all kinds of odors and was first used while house-training a puppy w/a short memory. (03/06/2006)

By gator10tx

Getting Rid of Bleach Smell

I've just used Mr. Muscle glass cleaner which contains vinegar to mask a chlorine smell. The vinegar on its own can be as bad a smell as the bleach. (02/29/2008)

By Mildew hunter

Getting Rid of Bleach Smell

I put way too much bleach in our crawl space, what do I do? (07/22/2008)

By Guy

Getting Rid of Bleach Smell

I would place a fan pulling the air out of the crawl space. I would also use window fans in the house, one at one in pulling air out and one at the other blowing air in and close all other windows, that continuously replaces the air in the house. Then when the odor subsides I would put straight vinegar in a sprayer and spray the crawl space (put a wet rag over your face and work fast), and stay out of the house that day or as long as it takes to dry, leaving the fans on. Once it drys it should be ok. Always use vinegar on molds and mildew because bleach makes it grow back in a toxic form. A couple of bags of charcoal or clay cat litter will also help absorb the odor and toxic fumes. Make sure you get all the pets and people out of that house for now! (07/23/2008)

By Tumpy