Getting Rid of Bleach Smell

Chlorine bleach is a strong chemical and when used as a diluted cleaner can leave a strong odor. This guide is about getting rid of bleach smell.

May 14, 2009 Flag

If you are using a cleaning agent (called White King or Demostos as used in Australia) containing a chlorine base (chemical name Sodium Hypochlorite), use white vinegar on your hands and the smell will disappear.

By Spoilground from Portarlington, Australia

Editor's Note: Sodium Hypocholorite is also commonly known as bleach.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

October 26, 2016 Flag

I poured bleach on some cement inside of my house. How do I get the smell out?
Thank you!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Never combine bleach and vinegar, even in small quantities.

http://chemistr  -And-Vinegar.htm

Pour straight white vinegar on the concrete. This should remove the bleach smell.

December 16, 2010 Flag

My brother recently cleaned a small chest type freezer with a very strong bleach solution. The smell of bleach lingers. What can he (we) do?

By Annelle from NE PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Try 1 tablespoon Bicarbonate Soda (UK) diluted in warm water. Wipe out the freezer with the solution. Leave the freezer unplugged and open for 24hrs. You can use BS safely and effectively to clean fridges and freezers. Detergents of any kind are not advised.

Bicarbonate Soda is also called Baking Soda.

Best Answer

Only way I know how to rid the odor of bleach from something is to rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse and rinse some more with water until gone. That might be difficult since it's winter outside and the most convenient way would be to move the freezer outside. But if you have an area where you could swing it, that's what I'd suggest. Turn on the hose and blast that baby down. If it's taking a long time to rinse it out, let it air dry in between rinsing. While it is air drying, sprinkle it with baking soda. Then rinse again. Repeat until you do not smell bleach anymore. (I'd cover up my nose and mouth with a mask while doing this.)

Best Answer

I would wash the inside of the freezer with straight white vinegar. Let it dry naturally. After it dries, wait about three to five days and wash the inside again with plain warm water. The vinegar will neutralizes the bleach.

October 28, 2016 Flag

How do I get bleach smell out of a mattress?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Do not wet the mattress. Apply a coating of baking soda and leave for as long as you can before brushing off. You can add some strong-smelling herb like rosemary or lavender to the baking soda.

There is a product called

Nok-Out, which gets rid of odors. It can be ordered from Amazon.

September 27, 2010 Flag

I made a big mistake and poured straight up bleach all over my mattress cleaning a stain from dog urine. The bleach turned the top of my mattress a bit hard from the harsh chemical, but also I can't get the smell out. I just let it dry without water. I didn't want to add any more liquid to my bed so I thought it would be OK since a bleach smell usually disappears. This time it hasn't. Do I now add more water to the mattress to try to get the left over bleach smell out?

By Lauren from Austin, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

What I would do if I were you is to get xo: it is an odor neutralizing cleaner that would have taken out the urine smell to begin with. This is what is used in nursing homes and hospitals; you can get it on www.qvc.com; go to Don Aslett's supplies; since it will cut urine smells and clean them I am thinking that it will do the same with bleach.

You can sign up to get emails and watch the presentations when he is on; or his products air; I was unable to find any locally so I ordered actually from his own site; I got the xo plus.

Best Answer

Since you now have both bleach and urine dried into the mattress, I would try something like a rug or furniture shampooer, or a steam cleaner. The bleach would not have removed the urine smell, but merely covered it up. After you have diluted the bleach and the urine with cleaning with water, and then perhaps mild soap and water, you could try the enzyme cleaner for the urine.

I am not so sure there's anything safe you can do now :-( I don't know if even dried bleach is safe to mix with other chemicals, including simple vinegar, so that's something you should probably ask a chemist or a bleach manufacturer. Bleach should never be mixed with anything other than water but I don't know if it's the same if the bleach is dried. Personally I wouldn't risk it without expert advice. The hardness of the mattress top is probably permanent damage because bleach actually melts some fabrics :-( I am not even sure it would be safe to turn the mattress over and still use because bleach fumes are toxic to lungs :-(

January 5, 2013 Flag

I just moved into an older house and had a friend shampoo the carpet in the main bedroom. The only problem is that he used carpet shampoo and bleach. Now it smells like bleach. I aired it for a few days, but still smell the bleach. How can I get that smell to go away? Or should I just rip it up and put new carpet in? Plz help.

By Dave M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would go over the carpet with a rag that was soaked in very hot water. I would point a fan in the room to decrease the fumes. Open a window if it is not too cold. Point another fan out of the window.

Do not mix bleach with anything like ammonia or vinegar, or other cleaners. Even putting a bowl of vinegar in a room can cause toxic fumes that can be harmful. I noticed this tip a lot on ehow.com. Don't do it since it creates chlorine gas.

I would keep wiping it down with very hot towels or rags, and then

pour baking soda on a plate and set in room to absorb odors. You can use activated charcoal and sit that on a plate in the room, but most people don't have that on hand.

Note: Do not put the plate of baking soda or activated charcoal in front of the fan. >:)

Blessings, Robyn

I completely disagree with Robyn. I followed another persons tip for removing beach smell from carpet and it worked instantly. I got hot water and filled my carpet cleaner almost to the top, then added half of a small bottle of vinegar and cleaned the carpet. It completely took the bleach smell away instantly.

Problem with Nicole's suggestion you have to own the carpet shampooer, not have rented it and returned it.

A big box (2lb. 10.6oz) Arm & Hammer with Oxi Clean sprinkled liberally directly on dry carpet. I left it on for a couple of hours and then vacuumed carpet. It worked well for me.

May 22, 2016 Flag

The other day I washed some T-shirts, that I found in a box that were mildewed, with Clorox in my washing machine. I added concentrated Clorox to the dispenser. I can't get the odor of Clorox out of the room even though there are six windows that have been opened and I have run 10 washes some without clothing in hot water. Every time I walk into the room my throat gets a irritated and I taste that metallic taste of Clorox. It's a new porch and I'm really nervous that some of it might've been destroyed by the odor seeping into the walls. How can I eliminate that odor from the room and for the washer?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 1, 2009 Flag

I had my outdoor cushions professionally cleaned because they were too dirty for me to tackle. Now they smell very strongly of bleach. Is there any way to get the smell of bleach out of the cushions?

By destin39 from AL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can rent an ozone machine (from a rental store). Just run it for 6 or more hours in a small room with the cushions. Ozone penetrates & removes odor without chemicals. An ozone machine can remove all odors from upholstery, fabric & rugs.

Before your do this you might first try using an odor neutralizer (like Febreze Vanilla. It has a very light scent) or put the cushions in the sun for a day, & keep flipping them over. The UV rays should help dissipate the bleach odor.

As one person already mentioned, if you expose your bleach "scented" cushions to fresh air and sunshine, turning them often, then try a bit of Febreze, you should be happy with the results.

do not mix febreeze on the bleach, that is what i did and ugh......i would use a carpet cleaner with water!

May 28, 2015 Flag

I just dropped a bottle of bleach, probably less then a cup spilled, but it left a really powerful smell that I need to get rid of. It's in my basement right next to the washer, so there's not really a way to circulate air though the room. I know you shouldn't use vinegar, how else can I get rid of the smell? I have pets so I'm looking for something nontoxic

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 16, 2014 Flag

How to I remove the smell of bleach in my sink?

By Nabeeha from Markham, Ontario

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 15, 2014 Flag

A whole gallon of bleach got spilled on my laundry room floor which is tile. I have been airing the room out and cleaning the floor going on 3 days and still the smell is there and the smell is going into my bedroom. Help, how can I get rid of the smell?

By GG B

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 16, 2014 Flag

I washed my plastic persiennes with some stuff that has 5 percent chlorine bleach. Now I can smell it in the flat. Is there any way to neutralize that chlorine smell or do I have to wash the persiennes again?

By tomislav from Croatia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJanuary 22, 2014
Bleach Stains on Red Shirt
Removing Bleach Stains From Clothing
Label of a Clorox bleach bottle.
Removing Bleach Odors From Carpet
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 21, 2017 at 10:28:00 AM on 10.0.2.37 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.