What Can Be Added to Water For Boiling Chicken Before BBQ?

A friend boils her chicken pieces before putting them on the gas grill to brown along with a heavy basting of BBQ sauce for flavor.

What could be added to the boiling water that would not significantly add to the sodium content of the chicken, yet still survive all that boiling and bbq'ing?

Holly from Richardson, TX

Sugar. It has no sodium and is great for browning. Restaurants spray food with sugar water to make them crispy golden.

Try garlic powder or chopped fresh garlic. 3-5 cloves, or a tablespoon full for one chicken gives some flavor.

Anything can be added for flavor depending on what you like. If you like garlic add a little whole or powder, if you like southwestern add some cumin and or chili powder. You could also add apple juice, that would add a little sweetness to the meat. Even some low salt vegetable or chicken broth. It pretty much depends upon your taste. Hope this helps some.

We use Mrs Dash and a bay leaf. We always par-boil our chicken before putting it on the bar-b-q. We use the same for turkey also. We boil then put it in the smoaker.

I have a friend that makes the best bbq ribs (both beef and pork) and chicken than I've ever had! She always par-boils any meat that she's going to bbq on the grill. She adds 1/2 bottle of barbecue sauce to the water and it permeates the meat and tenderizes it too. Tastes great!

Do I need to par boil my chicken or any other type meat before I grill it on my indoor grill, like the George Forman? My chicken has always been tough

will I grill it, will the par boiling help it to be tender?

Teresa/ Va.

I add 1 teaspoon of the following Garlic Salt/Cumin/Paprika it adds amazing flavor. When i grill it after brushing on my bbq sauce i use a spray bottle to spray with pineapple juice, it makes the sauce stick to the meat better.

I boiled mine in water with a packet of Italian Dressing Mix on Memorial Day and it turned out DELICIOUS! After I boiled it, I took some barbecue sauce and mixed in some brown sugar in a bowl and then put the chicken on the grill and basted with the barbecue sauce. The sugar helps it carmelize and stick to the chicken. FAMILY LOVED IT! I do this with Ribs as well, except don't boil it with italian dressing mix, just put some rib rub on them first.

I know this is very odd, but I am just getting to old TF articles. I use one can beer to par boil any chicken, beef or pork and it seals flavors and alcohol cooks out yet gives you a moist meat.

I add liquid smoke and BBQ salt to the water to boil chicken then after 45 minutes drain chicken and add BBQ sauce and eat.

Food and Recipes Recipes BBQ & GrillDecember 5, 2007
BBQ Chicken Pizza
BBQ Chicken Pizza Recipes
Chicken a la King in puff pastry shell
Chicken A' La King Recipes
Serving bbq ribs to a large group.
Making BBQ for a Large Group
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume