Recipe For Cabbage Bread Rolls

I am looking for a recipe for cabbage rolls. My mom used to make them. They were a yeast roll with hamburger, cabbage, and onions fried and placed inside the dough and baked. They were really good, but I have been unable to find my mom's recipe, does anyone have one? Please help.

By Valorie from Okmulgee, OK

Valorie, They are called "beirocks" or "runzas". Below is a link to a recipe I have used and they really are yummy! I did add a whole onion and some seasoned salt and a teaspoon or less of caraway seed to the hamburger/cabbage filling. Another hint, if you have a food processor, chopping the cabbage and onion down to a finely shredded consistancy before mixing with the hamburger saves a lot of time. Enjoy!

P.S. We also made ours bigger than the picture shown in this link, and shaped ours more the size of a burrito than the squares that are pictured in the link. Good luck in recreating your mom's recipe. Here is the recipe link:

http://www.kitchengifts.com/runza.html

I have to wonder if this would be "great" in a crescent roll pocket. Two triangles of the canned rolls pressed at the edges to seam them together Might try it!

Valorie, KansasCindy is correct there. In Nebraska, we call them runzas. I sometimes substitute drained polish sauerkraut for the cabbage, just for variety. When my kids were growing up I made both kinds several times a month as they loved them. Also great dipped in cheese sauce while they are eating them. I have used frozen dinner roll dough and frozen bread dough to make them.

Thanks for requesting & posting this! An old friend of mine made these, too, & always called them "Cabbage Rolls". I've tried to replicate it, but I've never found a recipe that was similar, all of the recipes I've found were meat wrapped in cabbage leaves, not meat & cabbage wrapped in dough. (And my friend always made them using frozen dinner rolls, too!) Thank you, again!

This is a meat pie called "Runza" German and started in Nebraska. You can find recipes on line! Very Good Eating takes some work but worth it.

KansasCindy, thanks for that link. I think I will make them for appetizers for Christmas.

This won the recipe contest when it was posted:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf77284006.tip.html

Cabbage Bread Rolls
Cabbage Bread Rolls Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Breads RollsDecember 5, 2010
Growing Cabbage, Selecting Good Broccoli, Freezing Cabbage
Freezing Cabbage
Freshly baked white dinner rolls.
Saving Money on Dinner Rolls
Recipes Using Stale Bread, Slice of Bread on Cutting Board
Recipes Using Stale Bread
Bok choy growing in a field.
Growing Chinese Cabbage
🎄