Roast 'Sticky' Chicken

Better than Boston Market's Baked Chicken.

Ingredients

• 4 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • 1 tsp. white pepper
  • Ad
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder {or to taste}
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 large roasting chicken
  • 2 large onions, peeled and quartered

Directions

Day 1:

Blend all spices together and set aside. Remove neck and giblets from chicken cavity, rinse well inside and out, and pat dry with paper towels. Rub chicken with spice mixture, both inside and outside, then stuff cavity with onions. Wrap in a resealable food plastic bag (I use a new, UNSCENTED, white trash can liner). Close with tie, and refrigerate overnight.

Day 2:

Remove from plastic bag and place in a shallow baking pan. Roast uncovered in a 250 degree F oven for 5 hours. {This is NOT an error. I repeat, 250 degrees for 5 hours!} If the chicken contains a pop-up thermometer, ignore it. Baste with drippings every 30 minutes after the first hour. When finished baking, remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before carving.

6 servings

By Connie from Cotter, Arkansas

I've made this recipe and it is fantastic! The long slow cooking time is what does it. I had never made a whole raosted chicken before, and this came out perfect. If you've never done one, this is the recipe.

I've also seen this recipe before, but have read that cooking a chicken at that low a temp can be dangerous, so I've been afraid to go ahead and try it. Does anyone know with any certainty if this is or is not a safe way to cook chicken?

Wow! This recipe looks wonderful and so easy! Thank you!

Carole Ann

Portland, OR

I think as long as a chicken is cooked to an internal temperature(using a meat thermometer)of 165 degrees it should be safe.

I make this chicken at least once a week. It is delicious and so tender. I follow the recipe except I don't put the chicken in a bag. I put the chicken into the same pan it will be roasted. I cover it will foil until it's ready to be put into the oven. This is so much easier. I did try it the other way at first but I do not see any difference in the flavor or tenderness of the chicken by putting it directly into the pan.

I made this tonight and there were no leftovers. I am not known for my cooking but everyone loved it and it turned out perfectly!

Excellent! Thanks for sharing!

Food and Recipes Recipes Copycat EntreesAugust 16, 2007
Chicken a la King in puff pastry shell
Chicken A' La King Recipes
Crockpot Pork Roast
Crockpot Pork Roast Recipes
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume
🎉
🎄