Removing Red Wine Stains from Tablecloth

Dinner was perfect up until the wine glass flung itself onto the tablecloth. Spills happen, but removing red wine can be difficult. This is a guide about removing red wine stains from a tablecloth.

Glass of red wine spilled on white tablecloth.
Filter Sort

Question: Wine Stain on Table Cloth

I have a giant wine stain on my favorite tablecloth. It's a cotton table cloth with a floral pattern but it is pretty light so the stain will look really bad if I can't remove it. I didn't really know how to treat it so I put it in a bucket of water to keep it wet. Does anyone have any tips for removing it? Thanks, Christine in CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I let my wine stain sit overnight, and dunno what to do to get it out now. Any of you know?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Using Boiling Water to Remove Wine Stains

By Leslie 1

Do you need to get rid of wine stains? Or any other juice stains for that matter? This is a tried and true solution:

1. Stretch stained fabric over a colander and place it in the sink.
  2. Bring plain water to a boil.
  3. Hold the teapot or pan approximately 2 feet above the fabric and pour water onto the stain.

I know this sounds crazy, but it actually works like a stain eraser. No chemicals needed. This works on all types of juice stains. Try it!

By Leslie from Falls Church, VA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Wine Stains on Table Cloths

By beverly Conner 6 25

How do you get red wine stains off white or pale colored table cloths? Either linen or synthetic fabric.

By Beverly

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By mcw 80 1,752 Flag

Someone already gave an answer to your same question, here is the post.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf66570742.tip.html

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Pour Boiling Water Over Stain

By Elaine 173 890

For a red wine stain, place the cloth item over a large bowl so it is stretched over the rim. Boil water in a tea kettle and pour over the fabric from about a foot away. Keep the cloth item stretched tight so it doesn't go to the bottom of the bowl.

The force of the water, combined with the heat takes out the stain. I once did this on an antique crocheted tablecloth that my grandmother made it and came out beautifully!

Source: My mother

By Elaine from Belle Plaine, IA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Using Whole Milk to Remove Red Wine Stains

By Jen 2 12

The best solution I've found for red wine stains is whole milk. I just soak the stain in milk and rinse with cool water. Sometimes it takes more than one application and it won't work on old stains, but it usually works with fresh ones. I've even used this trick to get grape juice out of beige carpet.

By Jen from Lancaster, PA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Club Soda or Sunlight

By Elayne Mills M. 5 6

There are two things that work for me. You can pour white wine or club soda water (not pop or soda pop) on the spots that have the red wine, let it set for a bit and wash the tablecloth. Or if you can, hang the tablecloth out in the sunlight, it too helps to get rid of the stain.

You can take it from me, as a winemaker, I have spilled lots of wine on numerous items, especially dinner tablecloths.

By Elayne from Dalhousie, Nova Scotia

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: White Wine And Salt For Red Wine

By Kay G. 1

The first solution for removing red wine stains is to always have white wine on hand. Dilute the spot with white wine, and then flush with cool water and apply salt. If no white wine is available, sprinkle heavily with salt and flush with club soda or cold water.

I have also removed red wine stains, by just pouring the soda water onto the stain, and then, blot, blot, blot, with paper towels, or a thick washcloth or small towel.

Source: Credit to "The Queen of Clean". Author of many cleaning solutions, and more.

By Kay G. from Lincoln, NE

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Club Soda for Wine Stains

Use club soda to get wine stains out of linens and clothes.

By Teri

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Home and Garden Cleaning StainsAugust 26, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Grape juice that is splashing out of the cup.
Removing Grape Juice Stains from a Tablecloth
Red Wine
Removing Red Wine Stains from Microfiber
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 1:02:04 PM on 10.0.1.229 in 910 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings