Make Ahead Egg Florentine Muffins

These were on our local morning news and later on their website. This is such a fast, easy, and versatile recipe that you can freeze for later. We like the spinach and sometimes I add tomato, but you can change ingredients around to suit your taste! I like the idea of cooking them in a muffin tin, which really saves time! The recipe makes 10.

• 2 cups Egg Beaters
  • 10 whole wheat English muffins, toasted if you want
  • 1 cup fresh spinach, thinly sliced
  • 1/3 cup reduced fat milk
  • 1/2 cup onions, diced
  • 1/2 cup red peppers, diced
  • 1/4 tsp. each of garlic powder, basil, thyme, and chili flakes (I leave the chili out, since the kids don't like it)
  • Canadian bacon (optional)
  • 2% Sharp Cheddar Cheese (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray muffin tin with cooking spray

Mix all the ingredients EXCEPT Canadian bacon and cheese together in bowl, then pour by 1/4 cup into muffin tin

Bake for 15-20 minutes

Place egg patty on English muffin; add cheese and Canadian bacon. Bake for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.

To store for later:

Option 1: Let egg cool and freeze them in Ziplocs. Reheat in microwave for 30 seconds. Place on a toasted English muffin.

Option 2: Place all sandwiches on a baking sheet in freezer, uncovered and unwrapped, for about an hour. (This will give them a chance to give off some moisture and also freeze a bit). After an hour or two, wrap sandwiches individually in plastic wrap and store them in a freezer bag. Keeps for a few weeks.

Tip for heating (or reheating): When reheating whole sandwich, bake for about 25 minutes in a 350 degree F. oven. Note: Using microwave may yield a soggy muffin.

My Note: The above is the original recipe and directions. The way I like to do it, is to use real eggs. Then I chop the Canadian Bacon into little pieces and use shredded cheese, that way I can drop about 1 tablespoon of each into each muffin holder and stir into egg mixture BEFORE I bake it. I also store some of these in the refrigerator in a ziploc bag during the week, so when we want one for breakfast, we can zap the egg patty in the microwave for a few seconds or a minute, depending on your microwave) while the English muffin is toasting - and of course my kids think they have to add extra cheese, LOL!

Source: Channel 6 news in Tulsa -

By Judy from OK

Food and Recipes Recipes BreakfastMarch 5, 2011
Making Snow Muffins
Chicken Florentine
Chicken Florentine Recipes
Soft Boiled Egg
Making a Soft Boiled Egg
Egg Salad
Making Egg Salad