BreakfastRecipes

Make Ahead Egg Florentine Muffins

These were on our local morning news and later on their website. This is such a fast, easy, and versatile recipe that you can freeze for later. We like the spinach and sometimes I add tomato, but you can change ingredients around to suit your taste! I like the idea of cooking them in a muffin tin, which really saves time! The recipe makes 10.

• 2 cups Egg Beaters
  • 10 whole wheat English muffins, toasted if you want
  • 1 cup fresh spinach, thinly sliced
  • 1/3 cup reduced fat milk
  • 1/2 cup onions, diced
  • 1/2 cup red peppers, diced
  • 1/4 tsp. each of garlic powder, basil, thyme, and chili flakes (I leave the chili out, since the kids don't like it)
  • Canadian bacon (optional)
  • 2% Sharp Cheddar Cheese (optional)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray muffin tin with cooking spray

Mix all the ingredients EXCEPT Canadian bacon and cheese together in bowl, then pour by 1/4 cup into muffin tin

Bake for 15-20 minutes

Place egg patty on English muffin; add cheese and Canadian bacon. Bake for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.

To store for later:

Option 1: Let egg cool and freeze them in Ziplocs. Reheat in microwave for 30 seconds. Place on a toasted English muffin.

Option 2: Place all sandwiches on a baking sheet in freezer, uncovered and unwrapped, for about an hour. (This will give them a chance to give off some moisture and also freeze a bit). After an hour or two, wrap sandwiches individually in plastic wrap and store them in a freezer bag. Keeps for a few weeks.

Tip for heating (or reheating): When reheating whole sandwich, bake for about 25 minutes in a 350 degree F. oven. Note: Using microwave may yield a soggy muffin.

My Note: The above is the original recipe and directions. The way I like to do it, is to use real eggs. Then I chop the Canadian Bacon into little pieces and use shredded cheese, that way I can drop about 1 tablespoon of each into each muffin holder and stir into egg mixture BEFORE I bake it. I also store some of these in the refrigerator in a ziploc bag during the week, so when we want one for breakfast, we can zap the egg patty in the microwave for a few seconds or a minute, depending on your microwave) while the English muffin is toasting - and of course my kids think they have to add extra cheese, LOL!

Source: Channel 6 news in Tulsa - newson6.com

By Judy from OK