Cleaning Water Spots on Shower Doors

Hard water can leave spots on your glass shower doors that are difficult and time consuming to remove. This is a guide about cleaning water spots on shower doors.

January 27, 2011 Flag

In the house we moved into the shower door in the master bath is, I think aluminum. I cannot find anything that will clean what appears to be water marks, etc. Can you help me? Have tried numerous things already, Brasso, CLR, LimeAway, etc.

By PatsyLu from Kansas City, KS

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You might try rubbing it with a rubbing compound made for cars. I know this works for cars that have water spot build-up from sprinklers and such.

Just tried the lysol toilet bowl cleaner mentioned by someone-it worked like a miracle! I've looking for something for years to work and nothing has until now. Cleaned all of the spots off of my glass block shower with VERY little elbow grease. Just put a quarter size spot on the sponge and it cleaned several blocks. Just kept repeating and done in ten minutes!

January 27, 2011 Flag

How do I remove hard water deposits on glass shower doors and glass? I tried vinegar, baking soda, and store cleaners including glass products.

By Barb from Tyler, TX

Answers:

Water Spots on Shower Doors

I got this from the e-How to everything web site:

Removing unsightly water spots from glass shower doors is easy to do. Water spots are caused by dissolved minerals found in hard water, and they become visible when water evaporates and leaves those minerals behind. They often appear as a white, chalky substance and, if left on glass shower doors for extended periods of time, they can become etched into the glass permanently. Preventing water spots is as simple as using the squeegee on the glass on a regular basis to keep it clean and free of the damaging minerals found in water. If you already have water spots on the glass, there are steps you can take to get rid of them.

Difficulty: Easy

Instructions
Things You'll Need:

How to Remove Water Spots from Shower Doors

1. Combine 1 part vinegar with 4 parts filtered water in the empty spray bottle, and test the mixture on the glass shower door to see if it is strong enough to dissolve the water spots without damaging the glass. You may have to adjust this recipe according to how long the water spots have been left untreated. Use more vinegar for tough water spots.

2. Put on a pair of rubber gloves to protect your hands and spray the mixture along the top of the glass shower door. Let the vinegar mixture sit for a few minutes.

3. Use the sponge to wipe off the vinegar mixture using circular motions to ensure you don't miss a spot. You should see the water spots begin to dissolve. If not, repeat Step 1 and Step 2 with a stronger concentration of vinegar.

4. Finish cleaning the rest of the glass shower door as you did in Step 1 through Step 3. You may have to use the abrasive side of the sponge to get stubborn stains off, but make sure to test an inconspicuous part of the glass shower door first to check for possible scratching. Once completed, dry the entire shower door with towels.

5. Once dry, apply some Rain-X glass treatment. Apply this product, commonly used for automobile windshields, to the glass shower door, according to the manufacturer's directions. Glass is a porous material, so the Rain-X will help to seal the glass's pores from damaging water minerals and effectively prevent future water spots.

Tips and Warnings:
For the most stubborn water spots, you should try using 100 percent vinegar and an abrasive sponge to remove the water spots. Keep a squeegee in your bathroom and use it regularly to prevent future water spots. Consider equipping your home with a water softener to eliminate hard water. Make sure the bathroom is properly ventilated while cleaning.

Read more: How to Remove Water Spots from Shower Doors | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5040755_remove-water-spots-shower-doors.html#ixzz118uDanDB

Good luck! (10/01/2010)

By marlips

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 29, 2010 Flag

What can I put on my clear glass shower doors to keep them from getting spotted each day? I currently use a squeegee after every shower, but I know from experience at a rented condo that I can use something to keep them spotless without daily work.

By Becca from MI

Answers:

Water Spots on Shower Doors

I was going to say Rain-X too ;-) You can find it in the automotive section of most large stores (like Target or Wal-Mart) and hardware stores or at any automotive supply store.

Here's a video link regarding how it works (once you see how it works you'll have no doubts about buying it). It's the official Rain-X site so please know it is safe to run the ad, if your computer asks if it's okay like mine does:

rainx.com (05/13/2010)

By Deeli

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 11, 2010 Flag

I have ugly hard water spots all over my glass shower doors. Does anyone have suggestions on how to get rid of them and keep the glass sparkling clean?

By Char from Cachi, Costa Rica

Answers:

Water Spots on Shower Doors

I used to work for a house-cleaning company, and one lady had me wipe lemon oil on her shower doors when I was there to clean her house. Just drip some on a rag and wipe the doors. But of course, be careful to wipe up any drips on the shower/tub floor, for safety. (04/11/2010)

By joanne

Water Spots on Shower Doors

If this is just hard water buildup, lime scale, and vinegar isn't enough, use an acid product such as CLR. (04/12/2010)

By louel53

Water Spots on Shower Doors

I used to live in Nevada where the water is awful with all kinds of stuff as a result of all the mining. I finally used "Ka-Boom," a spray on liquid that foams, but I think "CLR" would also work. After we got all the residue off, we started keeping a squeegee hanging in the shower. Every time we shower, we wipe down the shower walls and doors with the squeegee and the water doesn't dry to spots anymore. Hope this helps.

Pat T of Florida (04/12/2010)

By patom

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 10, 2010 Flag

Looking for information on how to get spots off shower doors.

By Katspot

Answers:

Water Spots on Shower Doors

I use shampoo on a green Scotch Brite pad and scrub, then rinse. After finished I use a squeegee to strip the water drops from the glass. After you get the glass clean purchase some RAIN X for windshields and apply. Let dry and ventilate the area. Make sure it is completely dry prior to using the shower, no more water marks or build up.

If the marks are absolutely horrible and many years of build up, I used spray on oven cleaner. But you have to be extremely careful not to get it on the frame work or it will damage it, so I would use this as an absolute last solution. Make sure, you have plenty of ventilation and cover the floor with paper, wipe off with paper and discard in a safe location so pets and children can not get to it. Rinse and rinse so there is not a trace of the stuff left to be found. (09/15/2009)

By Beau D

Water Spots on Shower Doors

Spray and wipe with isopropyl alcohol. (09/18/2009)

By Deeli

Water Spots on Shower Doors

Once a month or so I use 1/4 pad of the "finest" steel wool, wet the pad and the door, give it a light, brisk rubdown, rinse with water and enjoy the sparkle. This even works on chrome faucets, door frame, track, etc. Cheap, fast, easy, no chemicals, and never a scratch. (09/18/2009)

By cjirby

Water Spots on Shower Doors

I have had great success using Old English furniture oil and a soft cloth. My doors were very cloudy due to hard water and soap build up, and this cleaned it right up. Use the oil for light wood furniture, not the dark, or you might wind up with a new problem on your hands. (09/21/2009)

By Oriente22

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 15, 2009 Flag

How do you remove water spots from shower doors?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 15, 2009 Flag

How can I prevent getting water spots on my new clear glass shower doors? Thanks in advance for any tips.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 15, 2009 Flag

I have tried just about everything to get the water spots off of my glass shower doors. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do for this problem?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Glass shower enclosure.
Cleaning Glass Shower Doors
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomMay 3, 2016
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
Soap Scum covered shower doors
Cleaning Stubborn Shower Doors
Shower Doors
Use Dryer Sheets to Clean Shower Doors
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 26, 2017 at 5:12:53 PM on 10.0.2.240 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.