Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Water Spots on Shower Doors

In the house we moved into the shower door in the master bath is, I think aluminum. I cannot find anything that will clean what appears to be water marks, etc. Can you help me. Have tried numerous things already, Brasso, CLR, LimeAway, etc.

By PatsyLu from Kansas City, KS

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By gtgypsy02/05/2014

Just tried the lysol toilet bowl cleaner mentioned by someone-it worked like a miracle! I've looking for something for years to work and nothing has until now. Cleaned all of the spots off of my glass block shower with VERY little elbow grease. Just put a quarter size spot on the sponge and it cleaned several blocks. Just kept repeating and done in ten minutes!

By jlyn [3]01/28/2011

You might try rubbing it with a rubbing compound made for cars. I know this works for cars that have water spot build-up from sprinklers and such.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Water Spots on Shower Doors

I have tried just about everything to get the water spots off of my glass shower doors. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do for this problem?

Archive: Water Spots on Shower Doors

How can I prevent getting water spots on my new clear glass shower doors? I know how to remove the spots, but I want to prevent them. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Judy from Lakewood, CA

RE: Water Spots on Shower Doors

Judy, we keep a small squeegee in our shower and squeegee the shower door after every shower. It takes less than a minute and sure beats the torment of trying to remove the spots later. (01/15/2009)

By Marnita

RE: Water Spots on Shower Doors

I keep a bottle of cheap shampoo in the shower, before I turn off the water I put shampoo on door and rub the glass with fingertips then rinse with water. If you do this every other day you will not get a build up. You can wipe shower door off with towel after you are done drying yourself or leave door open to air dry. This works great and is cheap. (01/15/2009)

By Denise

RE: Water Spots on Shower Doors

(submitted via email) Thanks to all who replied to my question. I already use a squeegy after each shower, but I am going to try to use the Rain X from WalMart. I was told not to use the Lemon Oil on clear glass doors because it will cloud them (I agree it works like a miracle at keeping scum from building up on the textured shower doors, I've been doing that for 30 yrs). I have also tried Pledge furniture wax and it works as well. Thanks again. This is a wonderful group. Judy from So. California (01/16/2009)

By Sally_Admin

RE: Water Spots on Shower Doors

Wax them with auto polish! (01/16/2009)

By Toebeanie

RE: Water Spots on Shower Doors

I agree I use Rain X on mine. I also use car wax (liquid Armor All) on my outside windows to repel the rain and it leaves no spots. On the bathroom mirror use a foam shaving cream to clean them and you will not have the "fog"! (01/16/2009)

By kenyoun

RE: Water Spots on Shower Doors

We tried everything to get those hard water spots off. Nothing worked. I Googled "how to remove" and came to this site. I was so relieved to find a suggestion of Ceramabryte! After a lot of elbow grease finally clear doors! Thanks for your help! (01/31/2009)

By Sherry

RE: Water Spots on Shower Doors

I clean houses for a living and have used WD40 to get spots off and soap film off, it works miracles on chrome and silver finishes like faucets and stainless steel. If you clean a clear shower door you'll have to go over a couple of times with Windex after to get streaks out. This stuff is perfectly safe to use. Also, gets love bugs off of car and cleans wheels to of road film. (04/27/2009)

By mountain girl

Archive: Water Spots on Shower Doors

How do you remove water spots from shower doors?

By chip off the old block from Banning, CA

RE: Water Spots on Shower Doors

Vinegar and water should do the trick. (05/15/2009)

By Anonymous

RE: Water Spots on Shower Doors

Or straight vinegar. I wipe down the tub surround after each use, and shower doors could be cleaned off with a squeegee. You can find these at a dollar store, made especially for showers. Prevention of spots is easier than removal of spots. (05/22/2009)

By louel53

Archive: Water Spots on Shower Doors

Looking for information on how to get spots off shower doors.

By Katspot

RE: Water Spots on Shower Doors

I use shampoo on a green Scotch Brite pad and scrub, then rinse. After finished I use a squeegee to strip the water drops from the glass. After you get the glass clean purchase some RAIN X for windshields and apply. Let dry and ventilate the area. Make sure it is completely dry prior to using the shower, no more water marks or build up.

If the marks are absolutely horrible and many years of build up, I used spray on oven cleaner. But you have to be extremely careful not to get it on the frame work or it will damage it, so I would use this as an absolute last solution. Make sure, you have plenty of ventilation and cover the floor with paper, wipe off with paper and discard in a safe location so pets and children can not get to it. Rinse and rinse so there is not a trace of the stuff left to be found. (09/15/2009)

By Beau D

RE: Water Spots on Shower Doors

Spray and wipe with isopropyl alcohol. (09/18/2009)

By Deeli

RE: Water Spots on Shower Doors

Once a month or so I use 1/4 pad of the "finest" steel wool, wet the pad and the door, give it a light, brisk rubdown, rinse with water and enjoy the sparkle. This even works on chrome faucets, door frame, track, etc. Cheap, fast, easy, no chemicals, and never a scratch. (09/18/2009)

By cjirby

RE: Water Spots on Shower Doors

I have had great success using Old English furniture oil and a soft cloth. My doors were very cloudy due to hard water and soap build up, and this cleaned it right up. Use the oil for light wood furniture, not the dark, or you might wind up with a new problem on your hands. (09/21/2009)

By Oriente22

Archive: Water Spots on Shower Doors

I have ugly hard water spots all over my glass shower doors. Does anyone have suggestions on how to get rid of them and keep the glass sparkling clean?

Archive: Water Spots on Shower Doors

What can I put on my clear glass shower doors to keep them from getting spotted each day?

Archive: Water Spots on Shower Doors

How do I remove hard water deposits on glass shower doors and glass? I tried vinegar, baking soda, and store cleaners including glass products.