Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Lightening Hair with Hydrogen Peroxide

I want to lighten my hair with hydrogen peroxide. Will it dry out my hair, and can I dye it afterward to get the orange out?

By Lisa from NV

By CourtneyBiff02/11/2013

I am naturally dishwater blonde and have been dying my hair since I was 12. I'm now 16 and have been almost every common colour out there. Blonde, browns, black and red. I went from black to blonde in a very easy way.

I booked in with my hair dresser who gave me a half head of foils and did a toner. The highlights were perfect and blonde. I go back every 12 weeks to have my half head foils done again. Due to mistreating my hair with all sorts of dyes in the past my hair dresser refuses to redo them every 6 weeks so what I do is buy 9% cream peroxide (pharmacies sell these on their own) and I buy a purple shampoo I use pro voke. I mix these together about 15mls of each and lather into my hair before washing. Leave it for 5-8 minutes and rinse. Make sure you use a really deeply nourishing shampoo and conditioner after because depending on your hair type the peroxide may dry your hair out. I do this once sometimes twice a week and my highlights stay nice and vibrant ready for my 12 week touch up.

I'm attempting to go silver soon and I'll definitely use this trick to help make it lighter! I've been doing this for about 6 months and my hair is still in excellent condition :-) Hope this helps. Good luck!

By Joan [13]12/14/2009

I used to use Sun In off and on for years and never had any damage. In fact I couldn't tell that it did anything at all.

By cherie07/22/2009

Take a quart pitcher and fill it full of water then add a capful of hydrogen peroxide and use it as a rinse after shampooing to give your hair natural looking high lights this is an old trick my mother taught me.

By Michele [17]07/18/2009

If your hair does turn orange, when trying to make it blonde there is a product sold at beauty supply stores. It's a red/ gold corrector. A tube cost about $1.50. You can add it to your shampoo or conditioner. Good Luck!

By Amy Crowley [1]07/17/2009

My God-don't do it! Your next hairdresser (or your regular one) will freak out. We don't know what kind of perms/color you can use without being bald. It's not a beauty industry ploy, we really mean it. Most horror stories start with lemon juice, peroxide or sun in type deals.

By lynda [12]07/17/2009

Always do a "strand test" from two areas of your head: 1) take about thirty hairs from the top off a center part AND 2) take about thirty hairs from behind an ear near the middle of your head but up from the bottom of your scalp about 3-4". Place clear tape around the base of each bunch and mark with up arrow or down arrow for where it came from on your head so you will know how to compare and time whatever you are doing.

(It's a real science so don't get over-confident nor blame those of us who try to advise and warn you, should you be disappointed. Without seeing it, no one can give you anything but guesses based upon their own personal experiences. Although I have a hairdressing license doesn't qualify me as an expert at coloring, nor does a colorist claim to know exactly what to expect nor how long a color will last. Every one's hair is different, period!) : )

It totally depends upon the color of your hair. If light, it will not turn very red. If med to darker, both lemon juice, and peroxide most definitely will. Why? Because the color of hair is made up of varying shades of reds, browns, or blacks, unless grey, white, or artificially "funky".

There is red in the brown and black hair colors. So lightening/bleaching is like removing SOME of whatever color is in each strand, leaving ONLY what amt. of color remains in each strand to live with.

Also, it depends upon what else you have or are doing to your hair. For example: If you have been using different chemicals, oils, conditioners, colors, natural or inorganic "things" you will not be able to accurately "predict" the color you will get.

However, if your hair is natural, virginal without added things ever, and IF you are not on any sort of drugs, or heavy vitamin/mineral supplements, your will have a better chance at predicting/ judging what it is likely to turn out like.
That strand test needs to be done for one hour, but tested for the color you want to achieve every fifteen minutes! Write down when you start, what was your formula, and every time you look to see if the color is where you want it to be shade wise.

Remember that clear peroxide is MUCH weaker than Creme Peroxide from the Beauty Supply or cosmetic dept. The Creme is easier to time and more reliable, but is also more damaging to the hair.

If you have been perming or shampooing with a strong/ cheap shampoo, you will most likely have sections/ bans of varying colors up/down each strand of hair. Realize that the hair grows about 1/2 inch a month, and if you permed last month, for example, that month's 1/2 "growth will react differently than the next month's 1/2" growth if you do not continue with whatever you used LAST month AND do not overlap into THIS month's growth.

Every time you use anything other than filtered water on your hair there is some degree of damage because each strand of hair can only take so much brushing, chemical, shampooing, sunlight, heat, etc.

There are so many factors to consider that this is why hairdressers need to be educated, tested, licensed, and experienced.

The good news is that if you do nothing too harsh
you will have more hair to grow out and replace any damage, unlike if our hair was a wig which is totally destroyed with only one bad thing that happens.

Read all instructions to whatever you use, do not drip the chemicals on anything you like to wear, and
wear gloves even with the strand test. Peroxide reacts faster when in the heat/light, so keep your strand test indoors, but you can then look at it briefly outdoors, noting the time in writing for yourself. Don't be in a rush nor allow distractions. Have excellent lighting. Keep your desires as simple as possible and don't get extreme for your
hair's health.

Remember that you are working with dead hair once it leaves the scalp, as if with fingernails that are dead as they grow beyond the nailbed. You cannot "add life" to hair or nails, only the appearance of "life".

Once you find the formula you like, keep the written information somewhere safe to refer to the next time you color or bleach. Coloring ADDS color, whereas bleaching removes color. A good idea after you reach a color slightly darker than what you really want is to use cheap beer to rinse and set your color, as well as condition it and make it shine, unless you have very dry hair and scalp. In that case use two slightly beaten raw eggs with a tblsp of Mayo and mix well before applying to your dry hair. Let set for 15 ins. and rinse with warm water much longer than usual but not
scrubbing too harshly.

Using Peroxide is not a "dying" process but a "bleaching" process, regardless of natural color. "Dying" is used when referring to coloring with tint.

I do hope you have good luck, that what I have said makes sense. I used Creme Peroxide bleach for nine years when I was young, turning dark brown hair into near platinum, almost ruining my hair for lack of knowledge back then. Frosting, foiling, illuminating, adding streaks is better than adding all over color or bleach from a hair-health standpoint, if the color is acceptable. Ideally, one should learn to be happy with their natural hair color, in my opinion. lol God bless and help you. : )

By Cyinda [214]07/15/2009

Yes! Peroxide will turn your hair orange! Maybe not right away, but for sure slowly over time. If your hair is naturally a dark blond you MAY be able to get away with it, but even then, it will most likely turn it orange (& Don't use Sun in either).

Put the lemon juice on in streaks for a more natural look, then sit in the sun. I did this with my 3 year old when she was little. I put lemon juice on her hair in streaks when she played in the sun) & it looked wonderful! She kept her "baby blond hair" a little bit longer. It's best to put the lemon juice on in streaks to get a more natural or "real" look. This doesn't work on dark hair. Only on dark blond, light brown or dishwater blond hair & sometimes on medium brown.

Here are questions related to Lightening Hair with Hydrogen Peroxide.

Question: Lightening Blonde Hair With Peroxide

My hair is already blonde but I want the ends to be even lighter. Is it possible for me to use only peroxide on it to make it lighter?

By Blanch

Most Recent Answer

By Alyie06/11/2011

You could use John Frieda blonde products. They really bring out the blonde highlights.
Also, what Deeli mentioned.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Dying My Hair with Hydrogen Peroxide

My hair is medium blond already, but will Hydrogen Peroxide lighten my hair if I mix it 50/50 with water and spray on? Do I need to add heat (blow dryer) or expose it to the sun? Has anyone used Hydrogen Peroxide with good results? I've used Sun-in before, but the 2nd ingredient listed is HP.

Anna from Costa Rica

RE: Dying My Hair with Hydrogen Peroxide

If you use just Hydrogen Peroxide on your hair; it will turn a brassy orange color; see a pro. (10/28/2006)

I have dark brown hair and have used regular Hydrogen Peroxide to lighten my hair for years. I just pour some on after washing and conditioning my hair. Leave it just a few minutes and rinse out. It will slowly lighten each time. Been doing this since I was 16 and am now 48 with no problems. (10/28/2006)

By guest post

I did 50/50 with water sprayed onto light brown hair in front of my bathroom's makeup lights for a week, while indeed putting on my makeup (about 20 to minutes) and the results were wonderful. Of course my hairdresser said it was amazing that my hair hadn't turned a nasty orange color, but it didn't. I would suggest snipping a piece of your hair in the back near your neck line and try it on it first. Good luck I know that I will do mine again next year as it looked so natural that my neighbor said I can tell you have been out working in the sun in your yard. It looks that natural that even my own parents never mentioned it when they saw me. Good luck. (10/31/2006)

By Paula Jo C.

When I was 17 I did the 50/50 Hydrogen Peroxide bleaching thing, after a few weeks my hair got really rubbery and stretcthy and broke off. I had to wait for it to grow out and cut all the "dyed" parts off. Now I'm 33 and I'll never dye my hair again. (06/04/2007)

By jinnel1973

I dyed my hair with Hydrogen Peroxide and now its bleached strawberry blondish. (06/16/2007)

By Juicy123

Please mention the color of your hair when writing comments, as results may vary with each color, and it would be helpful to know. (07/31/2007)

By Suggestion

It took me a couple of tries to lighten my hair, but the truth is that there is no one true way for everyone to lighten their hair unless they get it done professionally. I recommend that you try out different methods, such as vinegar, peroxide, lemon juice, olive oil, and any other types of natural lighteners. It is all about your color and your texture. (08/09/2007)

By Nikki

I had dirty/darkish blond hair and this summer my cousin showed me one way to dye it with Hydrogen Peroxide. We would just go to the beach or lay out side and then wet our hair once and pour the peroxide on. I got great results and my hair is now a nice light blond, but not like white or anything. Just make sure to use a hydrating conditioner soon after because it dries out your hair a lot. (09/08/2007)

By Marissa

Depending on what your original hair color is determines how brassy it will turn out. Dark hair will turn orange. No doubt. Blondes can clean out the built up impurities with a 50/50 solution or adding it to your shampoo weekly for a lighter look. I would suggest if it is your first time putting chemicals in your hair, do a small patch test before committing to your whole head. (05/23/2008)

By Melissa B.

I tried Hydrogen Peroxide on my black hair with a 50/50 solution and I did that for a couple days. I used some pretty good conditioner though. My hair turned to a reddish brown color. My friends says it's a good color for me. I may go lighter. (05/24/2008)

By guest

I'd only recommend Hydrogen Peroxide for a little lightening, not a whole dye job. A stylist told me I have natural red highlights (I have dark brown hair) and I wanted to bring out the red more for a different look. So I researched this use of Hydrogen Peroxide first and experimented. First with a 1:1 solution. Worked through the hair and let it dry. Then a little stronger say 2:3 and it really brought out the red and lightened the brown enough to give that beach sun look. Didn't leave my hair dry at all (guess it depends on your hair type). Cheers. (07/28/2008)

By SunSurfDude