Pound Cake Came Out Dry

My pound cake came out dry, although I used 7 eggs as the recipe called for. My oven cooks slowly and I had to leave it in 15 minutes beyond the recommend cooking time. Could this have caused the dryness?

By EasyLikeSunday from Philadelphia, PA

I would guess you're probably right.

Yes. If you leave any cake in the oven until it is set and firm, it will always be drier. Check your oven temperature with an oven themometer (sp?) and cook only for the time listed on the receipe. The cake continues to cook as it cools down.

To save it rather then chucking it. Make trifle with it or serve it with berries and whipped cream (like strawberry shortcake). Turn your dry cake into a delicious dessert! Depending on how dry and dense the pound cake is, you could dip slices in egg/milk and pan fry and serve with powdered sugar (like French toast only cakier)

It could also be your elevation; higher elevations usually need longer cooking times while lower elevations shorter. You may want to see what the elevation is/was where the recipe originated from. If you don't know, set the timer 5 minutes earlier than suggested and prick with a toothpick or a small bamboo skewer in the centre/highest point(s). If it comes out with batter on it, it needs to cook longer. If it comes out clean, maybe a couple of crumbs, take it out of the oven, it is pretty much done!

The addition of some sour cream and also using lower oven temperatures will help. I found this made a big difference when I make banana bread. I used to ignore the 1 hr and 20 minute @ 325F and instead followed other recipes that called for 350-375F for one hour. The extra 20 minutes at lower temperature retained much more moistness. Check early (especially if you have a convection oven) with a toothpick in center and remove from oven as soon as there is no batter or very minimal since it will retain heat and continue to bake. Good Luck!

Don't waste your dry cake! Try making a glaze to pour over it to moisten it back up. Put your cake back into the pan you baked it in, then use the handle of a wooden spoon to poke lots of holes in it. In a small sauce pan, put a stick of butter, about 3/4 or 1 cup of sugar and a tsp. of flavoring of your choice (almond, vanilla, etc.) bring to a boil and pour over the cake in the pan. Let sit about 10-15 minutes then invert on your plate. I use this method for making rum cake--bake cake with rum in it and then boil rum in the glaze. Yumm.... Hope this idea helps when you need a "save"!

Use 2-3 more eggs and use mayonnaise instead of oil. Also only cook it in the time alloted and remove it from the oven (as it will still continue to cook) or turn the oven off 10 minutes before the cooking time is finished.