Craft: Lettered Step Stone

Here is a stepping stone I designed and made last spring. Seems that stepping stones are perennial favorites on craft sites so thought this would be helpful. I use a hot wire machine to cut letters out of styrofoam, glue the letters to the bottom of the form used (in a mirror image) then pour the concrete mixture into the forms. After setting 24-48 hours, my stepping stone is ready.

By Creativeman from Chatswoth, CA

Wow, that is very beautiful! Is the wire machine very expensive?

I agree that's beautiful! I have the same question what is a wire machine and how much does it cost?

Wow, these are so beautiful. I always think about doing stepping stones but I haven't yet. Maybe next year.

I did a little Google research on the hot wire machine and it appears that the hot wire is attached to something with an arm. You cut like a jigsaw would. There are expensive computerized ones (which this might be as they look so perfect) but there were manual table top ones for just over $200. Expensive for sure, but not impossible. I wonder if you could rent one for a weekend.

It seems to me that you could form letters out of something else, or even buy foam letters at a craft store. They would have to be mirror image though. Maybe you could cut them out with a box cutter or X-acto and then clean up the edges. Or leave them rough and enjoy the imperfection :)

I wanted to answer the questions about the hotwire machine. I make them myself, for less than $20.00! It does remind me of a jig saw in a way, but cutting styrofoam is a unique experience. I am amazed at the uses I find for it, and wonder why they have never become more mainstream with crafters. Signs, letters, posters, stepping stones, bricks, all can be personalized with foam letters. I have included a photo of the machine I call "Mighty Goliath" because it does so much. To make one, go to, and search for Making the Mighty Goliath.

Stepping Ston With "Sheri's Garden" on it
Homemade Stepping Stones
Photos GardenOctober 15, 2009
Hypertufa Stepping Stones
Making Hypertufa Stepping Stones
Installer Pavers
Making a Paving Stone Patio
Mold and Concrete Stepping Stone
Making Concrete Stepping Stones
Get Organized
Step by Step Guide To Get Organized