Rainy Day Craft Box For Children

I used a hat box, but any box will do. Place the following in the box:

• scissors
  • school glue
  • glue stick
  • watercolor set
  • colored pencils
  • Ad
  • construction paper

Take a walk around your home and collect things that would make good collage materials:

• cotton balls
  • empty toilet paper rolls
  • toothpicks
  • chopsticks
  • lids from various jars
  • a couple of paper towels
  • dried beans
  • dried pasta
  • dried rice
  • old magazines
  • comics
  • costume jewelry
  • scraps of fabric
  • beads
  • yarn
  • used envelopes
  • used labels
  • greeting cards

Have your children help you think of ways of organizing their art supplies (empty yogurt containers with lids, zipper baggies, etc.)

Remember to ensure that the box remains well-stocked. Whenever you (or your children) are about to throw something away, consider putting it in the box instead.

Rainy days won't be quite so dreary anymore. :)

By Laura from Long Beach, CA

When my boys were little I kept a pack of paper plates in our rainy day box.

I wonder if there's a way of rinsing off used paper plates well enough, so they could be put in the rainy day craft box too?

I completely forgot those popsicle sticks I used to was and keep....

I have a friend who when her kids were young used to always keep a craft basket for them. This basket was a square plastic laundry basket. When she went to the store, she'd sometimes pick up one or two new things for the craft basket. It might be construction paper, fancy scissors, coloring books, glitter-glue or marking pens. Most times these craft items came from the dollar store. The cool thing was, whenever her kids said "I'm BORED", she's say, get out the craft basket!

* The problem most people have is that they use craft containers that are to small (like cigar boxes & the like). If you use a laundry basket, then you won't run out of room & your kids can move it from one room to You can always put the smaller supplies in zip-lock baggies. Square baskets work better than round ones because they seem to fit into smaller spaces.

I did this for my 5 year old grandson and he just loved it. I do a lot of crafts (scrapbook, rubber stamp, sew, knit) so I have plenty of odds'n'ends around. Now when he comes to Granny's house, it is something special that we do. First thing he says is, "Let's make crafts Granny!"

And now that he has 9 month old twin brothers, it is something that puts him in the center of attention with me.

Activity Kit For Kids
Organizing Activities for Children
Crafts Crafts For KidsMarch 5, 2008
Making a Paper Plate Flying Disc
Making a Paper Plate Flying Disc
Green Valentine's Day Ideas, heart shaped leaf
Being Single on Valentine's Day
Rainy Day Activities
Rainy Day Activities for Kids
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box