Choosing Colors for Kitchen Walls

I have yellow kitchen walls on top of walls, chair railing, then beige walls on bottom of walls. The decor in kitchen is bird houses and sunflowers. The counter tops are beige Corian with a beige back splash. There is a bird house border in middle of chair railing. I have light wood floors and light wood cabinets. I would like to change the color in the kitchen. I just painted the top walls yellow. What would go with yellow?

Peggy

When stumped for color harmony, go to the fabric store and look at material prints that have the colors you do have and see what other colors blend well. This way you can even come up with the right shades and oftentimes you'll have more than one choice of colors that will be complimentary. you can also look up printed fabric on the 'net if you don't want to spend time in a fabric shop.

Choose a color from your wallpaper border. Any of them will do. If it were me, I'd go with one of the greens, Olive, Sage or Hunter. If your kitchen is small, go with a lighter (more pastel) color, if it's not a small space, you can go darker in hue. Another choice that would look awesome with Yellow would be Charcoal (very dark gray) or Black. As long as it;s the bottom color. But don't use a color this dark unless your kitchen is huge!

I'd also think about painting the chair-rail to match the counter tops. That is, IF Beige looks good there. If not, think about using black on the chair-rail itself, yellow on top & a green on the bottom. And if you do, paint several of your birdhouses black to match too! I could also see Painting the bottom Copper & spray painting many of your birdhouses a shiny copper too!

Remember to have your main 2 colors go all around the room, in at least 3 places. For example if you choose green, be sure it's taken all around the room. If it's dominate in the border-print you'll not have to worry about this. The border-print will do this for you!

What is the predominant color other than yellow in the wallpaper and border?probably dark brown, like the center of the sunflower.Choose one of these darker colors to play off of,since it sounds as if your kitchen is VERY light, neutral colors already,anything light will just make it look even more washed out and boring.

August 27, 2009 Flag

Our new kitchen will have: maple cabinets stained ginger, very pale cream/taupe tile with light brown/tan markings, and brown and peach granite counter tops. What paint colors would go?

Jaye from Toronto, Ontario

Answers:

Choosing Colors for Kitchen Walls

How about a pale sage green, or a soft robin's egg? (03/12/2008)

By perfume and powder

Choosing Colors for Kitchen Walls

I'd use the same color as the cupboards except 2 shades darker (if the room is large) or one shade lighter (if the room is very small). Don't use the same shade as the cupboards. Another idea: Ginger is basically "orange" or "peach", and the compliment of Ginger is Blue or blue-green. You could use a "robin's egg blue" as Perfumed Fan suggested, but be sure the blue you pick has a touch of gray in it, this will tone it down so it won't look "juvenile". Also, any green will work, dark, light, olive, sage, or hunter. Another idea would be a washable vinyl wallpaper that LOOKS like grass-cloth. This would give the room texture. (03/12/2008)

By Cyinda

Choosing Colors for Kitchen Walls

I too have been investigating paint color choices. From what I've read, the paint color is chosen not only by what is already in your room, but also by the amount of sunshine it receives, the size of the room, and the colors of adjoining rooms. If you want to make your kitchen look larger, make the walls the same shade as the cabinets only slightly lighter.

Otherwise, I think you can't go wrong with the pale cream that is included in the counter top coloration. Always remember that when you put the color on the wall, it looks darker. So you might want to go one shade lighter if you use the cream. Best of luck. (03/17/2008)

By Carol in PA

Paint chips on a kitchen blueprint.
Kitchen Paint Color Advice
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceAugust 27, 2009
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Colorful Bridal Bouquets
Choosing Wedding Colors
White kitchen with right green painted backsplash
Adding Color to My Kitchen Walls
Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets
Paint Color Advice for a Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets
🎉
🎄