Making a Film Reel Frame

If you are lucky enough to have or find and old 16mm film reels, you can try your hand at making this clever photo frame. This is a guide about making a film reel frame.

January 25, 2010 Flag

I inherited these empty film reels from my father-in-law (I have boxes full!). At Christmas I decided to try my hand at transforming them into picture frames.

After a basic cleaning, I spay painted one side (and sealed with satin finish), then traced the photo openings onto scrap paper to use as templates. The photos were copied in sepia tone on heavy paper and carefully cut to just larger than the template. Wallpaper samples were used to fill in the extra spaces in the reel. I used a cardboard pizza circle for the backing and glued it all together.

By Carol from OH

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Absolutely love this look! Thanks for sharing it with us Thrifty Funners!

How clever! I have absolutely no imagination!

I love your idea!

That's awesome! If you have boxes full, maybe you can sell this. We had a birthday party for my grandmother and displayed pictures of her life. That would have been great to use.

This is beautiful. What a wonderful way to display treasured photos!

Carol, these are wonderful. What a great use of those film reels.

Were you lucky enough to get some film with them. I used to work at a company that converted film to DVD and I could never get enough of the old 8mm or 16mm films. Even if it wasn't your family, the slice of life that the films show was always charming. I also enjoyed seeing local or famous landmarks and how they have changed.

If you don't have old pictures, you can print any regular photos in black and white or sepia to give them an old fashioned look. I had that done with my wedding photo and people asked my mom if it was one of her ancestors :)

I may have to try this myself. Great job!

Oh my gosh, Carol; these are so cool! You are such an artist!

The next time I see one of these in a thrift shop. I am snatching it up just because of you! Brilliant!

This is really unique, love it. Audrie

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. It was a labor of love as my dear FIL passed away last August. I wanted to preserve some great pics of him in his prime and using the reels was a natural as he collected thousands of them!

A few relatives got these frames for Christmas. :-) ~carol

Making Decorative Photo Frames
Making Decorative Picture Frames
Crafts FramingJanuary 4, 2017
Old Reel Mower
Determining the Value of Old Reel Mowers
Bark covered picture frame with additional twigs added for interest.
Making a Bark Covered Picture Frame
Make Drawer Handles into Mini Frames
Make Drawer Handles into Mini Frames
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 21, 2017 at 9:04:22 PM on 10.0.1.210 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.