Wood Pallets for Raised Beds

Q: I would like to use discarded wood pallets to make a raised bed garden. Has anyone done this with success?

Debbie in the Draft from Stuarts Draft, VA

A: Debbie,

Wood pallets will work fine. You can disassemble them and dig the boards into the ground a few inches, or secure the frame by pounding a few wooden or metal stakes into the ground on either side of them. Avoid commercially pressure-treated wood that contains arsenic or other toxic compounds that can leech into your soil. Also avoid wood treated with penta (pentachlorophenol). Types of untreated wood that are naturally resistant to rotting include cypress and cedar. Wood pallets are usually cheap or free, so if yours are made from a wood more prone to rotting, you can inexpensively replace them anyway.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

I have a friend who did this successfully. I will be trying it this weekend! Email me for photos. lindabaldwin @ remove spaces . verizon.net /// just remind me what you're looking for in your email. Thanks.

Wood pallets? How does this work? Could I use it for my mini-pumpkins?

vertical garden
Making a Pallet Garden
Home and Garden Gardening Raised BedsApril 6, 2006
stack of railroad ties
Using Railroad Ties for Raised Vegetable Beds
wood framed garden bed
Building Raised Beds
Wooden Pallets
Reusing Wood Pallets
Gardening in Raised Beds
Gardening in Raised Beds